DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone please tell me where I went wrong wiring in this diagram? I tapped into a switched power wire to add a few lights in my room. The problem is that the wire I tapped into powers a flood light outside, and I didn't want the flood light on all day when I had the interior lights on. I didn't even think about this being an issue. So what I did, as seem in my little diagram :) is to add a switch. I ran the power to the switch and then a separate line to the light. Both lights work with the original switch on, but when I turn the new switch off, the breaker trips. Where did I go wrong?

Attachments

·
Lic Electrical Inspector
1,843 Posts
c miller said:
Can someone please tell me where I went wrong wiring in this diagram? I tapped into a switched power wire to add a few lights in my room. The problem is that the wire I tapped into powers a flood light outside, and I didn't want the flood light on all day when I had the interior lights on. I didn't even think about this being an issue. So what I did, as seem in my little diagram :) is to add a switch. I ran the power to the switch and then a separate line to the light. Both lights work with the original switch on, but when I turn the new switch off, the breaker trips. Where did I go wrong?
It would help if you showed your connections.

·
" Euro " electrician
5,369 Posts
Were you aware this is a switched light circuit when you make the spices in the attic junction box ??

Second thing how you did wired up the new switch.

Third thing is you should done in first place is find a unswitched circuit and use that to tap off to the new luminaire and new switch box for the luminaries itself or extend the circuit from the wall recetaple to the new switch box and new luminaries you installed.

Merci,
Marc

·
UAW SKILLED TRADES
5,341 Posts
You tapped a switch leg and have no neutral in your junction box.

Reactions: andrew79

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It would help if you showed your connections.
All like colors are connected. At the first junction box I used wire nuts on each of the same colors-there were 3 wires on each nut. At the switch I have both 14 an wires tied like colors together with a short wire going to the switch

·
Lic Electrical Inspector
1,843 Posts
c miller said:
All like colors are connected. At the first junction box I used wire nuts on each of the same colors-there were 3 wires on each nut. At the switch I have both 14 an wires tied like colors together with a short wire going to the switch
You have a dead short as soon as you through the switch.

·
Licensed Electrical Cont.
7,829 Posts
At the switch I have both 14 an wires tied like colors together with a short wire going to the switch
WHAT does this mean??

I agree, you either tied into a switch loop or you created a dead short at teh new switch.

It would have helped if you did some reading up on this BEFORE you started. There are many good books at the home centers that go over the basics of wiring circuits like this.

·
Resi EC
480 Posts
A picture (as stated) would really help.

Since we are guessing, are you sure you installed a single pole switch, not a 3-way?

Had a friend call me, like was on ALL the time when he flipped the switch on it would trip, (long story short) he had both blacks tied to one screw (pig-tailed) and both whites tied to other screw.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Since your description of what you did is not comprehendable I will take a shot in the dark. If your existing setup was like in my post above, all you had to do was this:

Again no grounds shown for ease of drawing
Thanks for this!!! This solved my problem. I realized the wiring to the switch was wrong, and I was trying to use a 3 way switch when the original switch on the wall was a single pole switch. Thanks for your help!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts