DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all I have a few problems &questions.Well I have a garage that is 32ft l x 24ft w it used to be a gable roof but it finally gave in.Well I started to fix it using some new&some salvaged materials but I working by myself decided a simple pitched shed roof would be better with me going at this alone.I messed the pitch up.The garage roof starts off at 7 ft then 12 ft later ends up at 10 then 12 ft later at 12 then 12 ft later at 12&a half so you see how I screwd up.Im new to this&its a long stupid story of why I did this anyhow that being said.I did this last year&at the time I used rolled roofing but now wanna use metsl but seing at one point its almost flat Im not sure if the metal would lay flat or if I would have to use a break&bend the metal.I would be using corrugated metal.Also if I couldnt and had to use shingles how many bundles to cover 36x24???The rolled roffing sux.

·
Tileguy
10,705 Posts
You picked a good User Name because that is exactly what you have done to yourself.

Metal roofing will never conform to that abortion.

What size are your roof rafters? Will they take the weight of the chingles?:)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2x6with plywood, over em.& If the metsl will sweet just thought it would bend&then make the seems leak.I have some old metal Ill get up there tomorrow and see what happens when I lay a sheet down on top for a idea what u mean.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why none?Anyways I went up there this morning&layed some metal up there&when the back section of metal over laps the middle piece there will be like a inch that it sits up.Afraid if I bolt new metal down that itll leak right there.Maybe I could raise the metal with 1x4s ???

·
Pro Slate Roofer
1,622 Posts
I have no real clue what you're talking about in your first post. I did catch that some or all of the roof is flat, or nearly so. Shingles won't work. And if the rafters and sheathing are such a hodge-podge, I doubt it will sustain the weight of shingles. That's what I based my first response on.
Pix would help and if you're able to get on it, I'm sure you can take a few lo-res pix for us.

Here's a complete installation page if you want to try tin.
http://www.albertsroofing.com/Tin Roofing photo_gallery.htm

1 - 9 of 9 Posts