DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help here. I am trying to repaint the interior of my home. However this is turning into a huge mess as many of the plaster walls have cracked paint. I have been scraping what seems to be for ever. Paint chips everywhere! How do I know when to stop? It appears to be coming off right down to the original plaster walls.

when I do get to a point where is seems it's not chipping away too much what do I do at that point? I obviously dont want to see the paint line in the wall through the new paint? Do I sand the edges smooth or spackle?? It's huge area that I've scraped down...probably about 5x5 feet...so far.

Any advice you can offer would greatly be appreciated.

Thank you!

Chris

·
NACE Coating Inspector
524 Posts
keep on scraping. you need to remove as much of the loose paint as possible. sand and feather any reamaining paint and a skim coat of mud and a high build primer wouldnt be a bad idea. did you do a lead test on any of this old paint?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your help. I think I'm done scraping. It's gotten to the point where I am chisiling and it's just coming off in little chips which for the most part I seem to be forcing.

So I guess I'll get to sanding as you suggested.

No, I did not test for lead....how do you do that? Guess I'm already exposed if there is.

·
NACE Coating Inspector
524 Posts
yep, you should be really exposed now. lead test kits can be found at any paint store or box store that sells paint. good luck with your project.

·
Registered
565 Posts
ok get loose paint off walls:yes: ,but dont look for problems:mad:,a once over and move on .your never going to feather sand and have this look good:no:.get a product called peel stop by zinsser:yes: ,the big boxes wont carry it your going to have to go to a paint store .apply peel stop. a good amount roll or brush this will lock down edges, let dry then do a skim coat of joint compound. let dry prime paint. a 5x5 area is a piece of cake:wink:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts