DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
Here's another dumb question,,,when you "jump" on the floor in that very area,,what happens?? Are the floors that weak they crack,groan, or excessively feel NON supported??

Fiberglass insulation isnt al THAT bad,let him do that and IF it doesnt cure the smell ,bats, and drafts,take tape off one side, foam it,trim that,,,and put back same type of tape same way IF you cant just peel back and reuse same tape. THEN landlord wont know,wont care till after lease is up and your GONE!! The foam should keep the worst of it OUT till lease is up. START looking ahead of time so your boxed and ready to go when the DAY arrives(Giving him proper notice of course)

A agree,,,calling the building inspector guys is a recipe for disaster without giving him at LEAST a couple chances. IF the bounce test tells you its READY to collapse ,,,THATS another story!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Here's another dumb question,,,when you "jump" on the floor in that very area,,what happens?? Are the floors that weak they crack,groan, or excessively feel NON supported??

Fiberglass insulation isnt al THAT bad,let him do that and IF it doesnt cure the smell ,bats, and drafts,take tape off one side, foam it,trim that,,,and put back same type of tape same way IF you cant just peel back and reuse same tape. THEN landlord wont know,wont care till after lease is up and your GONE!! The foam should keep the worst of it OUT till lease is up. START looking ahead of time so your boxed and ready to go when the DAY arrives(Giving him proper notice of course)

A agree,,,calling the building inspector guys is a recipe for disaster without giving him at LEAST a couple chances. IF the bounce test tells you its READY to collapse ,,,THATS another story!!!
SIGH. No, the floor is fine. They creak like normal wood floors in old buildings. Don't worry, I am not gonna fall through the floor. How do you know fiberglass is not that bad? I have done a lot of research. I don't want those fibers around, I am very sensitive to chemicals, and I doubt he would stuff it in good or seal it properly, he is disabled (can't bend down or get on his knees) so I don't how he is going to get on the floor and fill the gaps in my baseboards, not to mention he is not a professional. Last time, he just stuffed some of the gaps with steel wool, and I had to pull that out cause it rusted.
I am NOT trying to give the landlord a hard time. I just want the gaps sealed! I was going to do it myself in fact! Just something temporary until we can get out of here! In fact, I am so disgusted, that I feel like going around right now, and just taping it all over myself. :(

I am so disgusted. I am smart enough to know that that this is not a real "emergency," per se, and I would never stay anywhere with unstable floors. I do value my life.
Thank you for everyone's suggestions/input, and I will post the outcome.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Have him spray foam the cracks, much better coverage and no itchy stuff.

Well, I did ask him to use that stuff before. However, he said it was a problem to use spray foam, "In case they have to ever get in there to do something." Huh????? Why for God's sake, would you need to get behind the baseboards? Except possibly to remove them?? And besides, if they ever did need to get in there, the spray foam can simply be cut away. UGH.

I will try to get him to consider spray foam again.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Well, I did ask him to use that stuff before. However, he said it was a problem to use spray foam, "In case they have to ever get in there to do something." Huh????? Why for God's sake, would you need to get behind the baseboards? Except possibly to remove them?? And besides, if they ever did need to get in there, the spray foam can simply be cut away. UGH.

I will try to get him to consider spray foam again.
Some people just don't like new fangled stuff.

He does have a point though in working to get into it if something needs to be worked on. You can't find wire or plumbing easily with foam.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.