DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Plant Building Shade Wood House
I need as much feedback as possible. I had two contractors on my house. First one I caught using interior Birch on my roof. I had built in gutters that rotted out some areas on the outside especially above my sliding door to the outside. Never inside. They were going to replace the CDX around the house and out in regular gutters. They got fired and another contractor took over. They came and removed the other contractors covering on the West side of the house and installed there’s. Well, neither company secured it well enough for WA State rainy weather last January. They wouldn’t wait till Spring. My entire house was dripping wet. Water was coming down my walls, light sockets shorted out. It’s a mess! They took out the insulation and I ran a dehumidifier up in the attic and the rooms. I have a moisture reader and my walls registered “OL” overload with water. The drywall in the attic looked nasty. Some didn’t even have paper backing on it. I thought it all had to be replaced. Wrong! They wouldn’t even let me completely dry out my attic. It still read overloaded with water when they blew the new in without fixing. They also installed the underlayment and roofed my house on top of the wet roof sheathing. A no no according to the company’s instructions. The contractors wouldn’t do anything with the inside of my house. “Sorry - not in the scope of work”. It was smelling moldy, musty so I removed the drywall above a couple of windows. They were black with mold and water stained. Can you look at these pictures. This was again taken the other day of my ceiling in my living room. My disaster happened last January. I have been fighting since then. I want to repair the drywall above my windows - like now. A wind storm brought pine needles and debris through my walls!
Looking at this ceiling a contractor friend of mine said, “your roof needs to come off, your insulation needs to come out, you need a new ceiling throughout, dry wall and wall insulation needs fixing where damaged and then insulate and roof. I won’t touch it or give you a bid. Too much work and too costly”. The problem I got my loan through want to just fix the drywall above the windows and I’m not sure what but they just want to cover up any damage. It’s a mess. What do all of you think about this ceiling? Is there a way to cover this up? It’s really noticeable in the evening light. This was going to be my retirement home. It’s a money pit. Wasn’t bad till these two contractors ruined my home. Thanks for any input. Happy Holiday’s!
I’m having trouble posting here. I hope this works out.

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To me, it looks like the ceiling has to go and stay gone until the moisture is under control
That’s what I thought! I was going to wait, dry, replace ceiling, and then insulate. It’s a loan - not a grant- through our City. They said the insulation had to be replaced on a certain date or they weren’t going to replace. I know I need a lawyer but times are tough. I did have a lab come check for mold. So far none inside but I don’t know what the stuff on my bird blocks are. Looks like mold to me. Do you know what thickness dry wall is used for ceilings and walls? I bought 5/8” fire something. Super heavy. I’d like to at least fix above windows. It’s cold!! Thanks for your response.

·
retired framer
59,943 Posts
That’s what I thought! I was going to wait, dry, replace ceiling, and then insulate. It’s a loan - not a grant- through our City. They said the insulation had to be replaced on a certain date or they weren’t going to replace. I know I need a lawyer but times are tough. I did have a lab come check for mold. So far none inside but I don’t know what the stuff on my bird blocks are. Looks like mold to me. Do you know what thickness dry wall is used for ceilings and walls? I bought 5/8” fire something. Super heavy. I’d like to at least fix above windows. It’s cold!! Thanks for your response.
The walls would be 1/2" usually and a new ceiling would be 5/8, but the older ceiling was likely 1/2"
I saw the black, hard to tell what it is but it is not a huge area.
I would bring that ceiling down and turn up the heat for a a few days. There is a moisture level to get to before doing the drywall but I don't know what it is. Mold needs moisture be in the high teens I think. Something like 16 maybe.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Hopefully you hired a legitimate roofing contractor
who has a general liability insurance policy in place.
If you did, you need to get a certificate of insurance
from him, then start a claim with his insurance provider.
General liability covers property damage,
and they damaged your property.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Number one: All contractors working on your home should provide a copy of their liability insurance certificate made out for your specific job.
Number two: All work should be permitted and inspected.
Number three: Immediately upon noticing the leak you should file a claim with your home insurance company who will go after the contractor and the contractor's liability insurer.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The walls would be 1/2" usually and a new ceiling would be 5/8, but the older ceiling was likely 1/2"
I saw the black, hard to tell what it is but it is not a huge area.
I would bring that ceiling down and turn up the heat for a a few days. There is a moisture level to get to before doing the drywall but I don't know what it is. Mold needs moisture be in the high teens I think. Something like 16 maybe.
Thank you for responding. My house is so messed up. I do have a moisture meter. Big help when I was showing the meter to the “project manager” when the walls were “raining”. He said, “what does OL mean?” He should not be in charge of construction when he doesn’t know what a moisture meter is and OL means overload. My friend bout 5/8” drywall. Man is that stuff heavy! I thought 1/2 for walls as well. I have to do something because it’s cold and with this last wind storm we had I actually pine needles and dirt come through my walls somehow. Thanks again and have a Happy Holiday!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you don’t get the answer you want the first time … start a new thread.
If you don’t get the answer you want the first time … start a new thread.
Thank you. I think I might be figuring this out. I think I reply under the quotes. I’m just so stressed out with all this and then my car was stolen. I found it two weeks later hunting it down on a friends bike. Found it just by strike of luck and the thieves were still in it. Called the police and talked 25 minutes and they never showed up. I even know where they live! That was a Friday. On Monday a friend saw it as well and got a description of the guys. That was 2pm. I called the police again and said if they didn’t get it I would get my ex’s bullet proof vest and my friends and I were going to get it. They called me at midnight to tell me they “found” my car. They didn’t find it. It was right where I told them. They waited until they left it so they didn’t have to make an arrest. Great story for the news. “Grandma of 62 chased after car thieves on bike”. It was loaded with stolen goods and “the keys” they side to steal all these cars and cut off the catalyst converters. Anyway- busy life!

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
If all those damages were caused by contractors, you should be contacting their insurance company and filing a claim. If they claim they don’t have insurance, and/or refuse to give you proof of insurance, contact the state contractor licensing board.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If all those damages were caused by contractors, you should be contacting their insurance company and filing a claim. If they claim they don’t have insurance, and/or refuse to give you proof of insurance, contact the state contractor licensing board.
Thank you. I contacted L & I and got all their insurance info. Will go from there. Thank you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts