DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've started changing light fixtures and installing smart switches thought my home ( the extent of my electrical knowledge ) while I wait for covid to blow over and have a minor reno done.

An electrician I had over about a year ago, jumped one circuit onto another because something was obviously wrong in the walls and I had no more power to it. This was obviously a temp fix till I was ready to do this reno.

One of the switches I was changing was right beside another that use to control a plug but no longer does since his fix.

What I found was a 3-way switch with both travellers connected but no common.
one wire was a black wire measuring 124V and the other a red with 25v.

My limited knowledge has me guessing he didn't want these wires to touch but why pigtail a hot feed out to that switch at all and why not just cap the red one?
He left an unconnected switch elsewhere in the house, why not here?

An electrician will hopefully come around soon but I'd like insight on this for my own curiosity as well as what the red wire is doing with 24-25v?

Thanks all.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I had no intention of touching anything regarding this install, It's above my pay grade for sure :biggrin2:.

All I did was take a switch the was 6" away, gang it with the one I'm talking about, swap it for a Crestron dimmer and wire a new room-centered fixture

He is licensed but after another job, I decided I preferred not using him again and called someone else. It's so hard to find an all-around trustworthy person that listens to your job request and either does it or suggests an alternative based on experience. I seem to run into a lot of complainers if a job requires a bit more thought.

Anyhow, here's a pic.
Any idea what's going on?

Attachments

·
Ret. Elec. Contractor
453 Posts
one wire was a black wire measuring 124V and the other a red with 25v.....
An electrician will hopefully come around soon but I'd like insight on this for my own curiosity as well as what the red wire is doing with 24-25v?
Digital Multimeters take almost no load to power. Induction from the surrounding wires can cause a DMM to read voltage when there is none there. This is called "Ghost Voltage"

Analog meters will put some load on the wiring, enough to cancel the ghost voltage.
Are you using a DMM?

·
Registered
6,385 Posts
You might want to invest in a "Wiggy"* for line voltage loads.
As mentiioned, DMM's tend to give readings fo ghost voltages.

* A Wiggy is a solenoid type electrical tester.
They have light, vibration and a sliding scale for measurements.
About $25 and up....make sure it is a solenoid type.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.