DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have put up some pics of some work that was done and would like to see what your opinion of this work is http://dunk222.angelfire.com/window_replacement/index.album/june_035?i=0
Somebody i know had their windows and patio doors replaced.
I say it looks unfinished,unprofessional and not properly done.
Many of the windows and their frames look too small as they are not flush with the wall-the installer didnt take out the old frames they just screwed in the new windows on top of the old frames.You can see screw exposed attaching the new window frames to the wall and you can see the old frames!!!

There are a couple of windows where the installer made new wood frames out of 2x4 and they are flush with the gyprok.Is this correct?It looks ugly and we have to now put trim/moulding to cover it.Shouldnt these 2x4s been set back in the wall so we could have patched area with drywall to make it flush with the rest of wall?.

The patio doors frames are flush with the stucco.There appeaars to be cracks and they did some filling in with caulk etc...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Welcome to the wonderful world of direct from the factory window installations. Why do you even ask.
I ask because i dont know if that is the way its supposed to look-it looks sht to me.I also want to know if this is the installers fault or if this is the best it can look with vinyl windows.

·
Registered
780 Posts
In my opinion, they are not sized correctly, they are not installed properly, and the are the wrong windows for this situation. But then again maybe I'm just picky.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In my opinion, they are not sized correctly, they are not installed properly, and the are the wrong windows for this situation. But then again maybe I'm just picky.
When you say not sized properly are you are saying that the vinyl frames should come flush to the walls from the get go and you should not see screws exposed?

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
What would you expect from the Ray Charles Window Co.?
It looked good to him.
Ron

·
Newbie Bill
1,107 Posts
I agree that those look awful, and now I am worried.

We are in the process of getting quotes to get some new windows installed. I decided to go direct to the manufacturer and was going to have their crews install the windows. Are you guys implying that this isn't the way to go? I figured it was better than picking a name out of the yellow pages.

Suggestions?

·
Registered
780 Posts
Manufacturers are in business to sell their windows right or wrong. If a lousy job is done installing they can divert complaints by saying the fired the drunks that did the installation. If their reputation is bad they just change the name of the company and start all over. A contractor has to depend on referrals to stay in business, his name is what the reputation is built on. He has the choice of different manufacturers and will work to choose the proper style for the job.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
The pictures are those of an incredibly bad replacement window installation... I have vinyl replacement windows that fit and look great.

·
11,730 Posts
I noticed the weep holes at one window's bottom, but couldn't see any others. Could you take a picture of only the bottoms of the fixed units? Poor installation. Be safe, G

·
Registered
28 Posts
My primary concern would be improper flashing behind and around the replacement windows - especially in stucco. My understanding of window installs with stucco exterior (based on heresay, not on first hand experience) is that it is more difficult because the stucco must be cut back to allow proper taping and flashing, then the replacement stucco must be properly re-applied and blended to the remaining original stucco. Our neghbors have elected to retain their original windows (circa 1982) because the cost of a contractor skilled in this type of install was prohibitive.

Obviously the harm in deficient flashing is the eventual intrusion of water in the wall cavity and subsequent mold / decay potential

1 - 15 of 15 Posts