DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any good leads on either thick plastic or heavy geotextile fabric we could use to put around the surface exterior of our foundation? The Depot has some options in stock but looks like the best options are either online or smaller hardware stores. Open to anyone who has experience.

We're looking to slope the parameter around our house, add the plastic/fabric and then cover with gravel/rocks/hopes & dreams that will shed the water elsewhere -- trying to keep the water off.

Woven geotextile (driveway kind) seems ideal but it's still permeable. I supposes that's a good thing to prevent accidental pooling with plastic but I imagine enough slope would prevent it.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts

That's the best stuff I know of and have used and have used it for exactly what you want to use it for. Maybe there is something better or the same thing under a different label. It's not thin and wimpy like a lot of the cheap stuff.

I'd probably have a lot of faith in the DuraWeave at Menards too if you have Menards, though I never got around to using the woven version.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

That's the best stuff I know of and have used and have used it for exactly what you want to use it for. Maybe there is something better or the same thing under a different label. It's not thin and wimpy like a lot of the cheap stuff.

I'd probably have a lot of faith in the DuraWeave at Menards too if you have Menards, though I never got around to using the woven version.
Thanks! That's the type of material I'm thinking. No Menards this way (Go Pack!), but Rural King or Tractor Supply here might have it. I'll have to look online too.

I was just at the Depot/Lowes and all they have in stock now is that super cheap felt weed barrier rather than tarp style.

·
Chaz
124 Posts
If your goal is to stop water, not weeds, use the heaviest poly sheeting you can afford. Weed barrier are not designed to shed water--quite the opposite. Take time to grade the slope flat enough to prevent pooling. Depending on your soil, you probably don't have to use it very far from the foundation. Properly installed, it will keep your foundation bone dry. You can toughen the system by placing a cheap, tear-resistant weed cloth over the poly if you are worried about punctures. Punctures depend on poly toughness, cover material used, and what kind of traffic on top to maintain the covering or the house itself.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts