DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Are there any plastic or fiberglass circuit breaker panel?

In my homes. Most of my appliances have plastic enclosures. And I protect the rest with Siemens GCFC 2-pole breakers that can test themselves automatically every few minutes (courtesy of UL 2015 requirements).

The only thing metallic or most exposed is the Siemens panel or load center that will house the 6 GFCIs.

Notice the bus bar unit inside can easily be taken off the metallic enclosure.

Is there no plastic or fiberglass enclosure that can house it? If none, why none?

If I can find one (or build one). Then I no longer have to ground the damn panel metal enclosure to the transformer centertap (and all the risks of floating secondary, lightning attractor, etc.)

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I took out the bus bar unit.

Here's the bare enclosure. This is Siemens model PL Load Center P1224B1100CU I bought at amazon
https://www.amazon.com/P1224B1100CU-100-Amp-12-Space-24-Circuit-Breaker/dp/B005GLD8IO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1543402821&sr=8-1&keywords=siemens+p1224b1100cu

Notice there is only 2 screws holding it (shown in blue arrow)

Here's the bus bar unit (what is the exact term)?

Here's the back of it:

Isn't it one can fabricate fiberglass enclosure exactly for it? Or is there any generic plastic enclosure big enough I can put it? So I no longer have to connect 60 meters of AWG 6 over the roof just to ground it at the utility pole ground rods. I'm afraid it can attract lightning hitting the tiny garden just in front of my car.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Putting it in a plastic enclosure does not eliminate the requirement to bring a ground cable into the box.
So what plastic enclosures are available and exact composition of the plastic commonly used. Is it fiberglass, polycarbonate, etc.?

·
Registered
997 Posts
totally illegal to do that, you assurance wont pay if any fire, you have voided UL listing doing that. Dont know what you're trying to do but it doesnt follow code

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I live in the Philippines. Here 99.999% of of breaker panels are locally made (so no UL label, or CE or anything). Our circuit breakers have only one brand, GE.

So here it's not illegal to use any panel, and we don't have any insurance (and if there is, they never look at the brand of the panel).

The reason I'm forced to use Siemens bus bar is because I have Siemens 2-pole GFCIs and someone told me Siemens breaker need Siemens bus bar. So I had to order the panel even if its shipping alone cost 1.5X the cost of the unit. And they are right because the bus bar of Siemens is a bit thicker compared to the local ones.

Therefore no problem if I'd transfer the Siemens bus bar and plastic basepan to another enclosure.

In my country, we don't use any grounding that is why I'm putting 6 GFCIs into the panel. If the load side touches the enclosure, it would trip if there is short to the enclosure and someone touched it. But not when the bus bar melts the basepan and bus bar contacts the body of the metal enclosure, then someone can get electrocuted by touching the metal enclosure. But if plastic, no electrified enclosure.

Would the following plastic enclosure work?

https://ph.rs-online.com/web/p/wall-boxes/2896055/

1 - 8 of 8 Posts