DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled the wallpaper off of one of the walls in our new house today, and found a little more trouble than I had hoped for. The house was built in 1959, and I believe the walls are plaster. The "top coat" of the plaster (for lack of a better term in my vocabulary) has crumbled off. I believe there was some light water damage in the area at some point in the future before the windows were replaced by the previous owner. I have attached three pictures showing the situation and the surrounding area with the wallpaper removed. Can I just skimcoat the area to repair it, or is there a more in depth repair process? I will be painting the wall eventually.

Thanks so much!

Attachments

·
Registered
292 Posts
Chris - do you think maybe a coat of Plasterweld is called for? Looking at those pics it might be worth exploring. I'm wondering how "tight" the current plaster is. I don't think it could hurt to go over the existing wall with PlasterWeld, then skim coat

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
See if the plaster is crumbling in those spots. If it is not, thn that is a perfect surface to accept a few skim coats.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts