DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it OK, if junction box has electricity disconnected, or the box is covered, to plaster over the box?

Thank you and this is my first time here on the site. So, sorry in advance if I'm doing something wroing.

·
Registered
854 Posts
You CAN NOT plaster over or cover any junction box that is active. Junction boxes need to be readily accessible.

If the box is disconnected, remove it, and then patch the hole.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Dan

I see what you are saying about having the electricity off and removing the junction box.

So if there is electricity going to it, and the electricity is used to feed other boxes, it can't be done.

But if the electricity can be shut off at the breaker box, do the wires have to be moved out of the breaker box?

·
Registered
854 Posts
So if there is electricity going to it, and the electricity is used to feed other boxes, it can't be done.
You can NOT cover it if there is ANY power to the box.

But if the electricity can be shut off at the breaker box, do the wires have to be moved out of the breaker box?
The problem here is, a hidden (once it's covered by plaster) box COULD then have power to it and it WOULD be against code.

The best option is to remove the box completely. Leaving any wires MAY result in them being connected up someday, it may not be you but someone could.

·
Banned
17,158 Posts
You CAN NOT plaster over or cover any junction box that is active. Junction boxes need to be readily accessible.

If the box is disconnected, remove it, and then patch the hole.
Go back and reread what they posted. They stated that the wiring to the box is dead. As long as it cannot be reattached at either end, I personally do not see a issue with covering it over. I though would pull the box out, so that it can just be covered, since there is not a need for it anymore.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Go back and reread what they posted. They stated that the wiring to the box is dead.
The OP asked "Is it OK, if junction box has electricity disconnected, or the box is covered, to plaster over the box?"

When he said "or the box is covered" that to me doesn't necessarily mean it is dead.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks

Thank you guys.

All of you guys I know are trying to help. Thank you so much.

Please don't get in an argument for my little ol self:yes:

·
Registered
854 Posts
We all read things differently so I wanted to clarify my thoughts. I'm not looking for an argument.

I'm glad we all helped.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts