DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a ranch home built in 1955. Its in a neighborhood that all the homes a very similar design. There are 3 different types of ranch homes in this neighborhood.

The walls look to be made of plaster. I am going to cut a piece away and have it tested for asbestos. I do see a lot of homeowners doing reno work. One neighbor is having all their walls taken down for an open concept. Another redid their kitchen by taking down a wall. For all the reno work we have yet to see an abatement team doing any cleanup. I have not asked any of my neighbors if they ever checked for asbestos either yet.

In the meantime I had a few questions.

1 - In a neighboorhood that looks to all be built the same if one house does not have asbestos is it a good chance they are all clean?

2 - Does a township have to disclose which neighborhoods may have been built with asbestos plaster walls etc...?

3 - Is there a specific place I should pull the sample? Kitchen, hallway?

4 - if it is positive for asbestos. How is a house where all the walls are made of plaster get mitigated? Do they have pull every wall down to the studs?

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Exterior Construction
29,100 Posts
1. Impossible to tell. If they were track built, more likely, but you never know and testing is cheap.
2. Not usually.
3. You want to test something that is as representative of the construction as possible.
4. No. You only need to worry about it if you are disturbing it.

Get it testing and then build a plan from there.

·
retired painter
10,922 Posts
Even if they were all built by the same builder - subs do most of the work and if subs or suppliers change - asbestos use or not could also have changed. As stated above the only way to know for sure is to test.

Personally I'd be more concerned about asbestos wrapped ducts which was prevalent in that time period.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Windows on Wash and Mark Sr. for the responses. I will get it tested and cross that bridge if it comes back positive.

There really isnt any wrapping on the duck work or he pipes. I think that is good as there is no asbestos but not sure if its efficient not having that stuff wrapped. haha

Its odd the price difference from different lab testing facilities. I called 3 of them that all look official and have decent reviews. The prices I got were as follows for the 3 different companies - $120 and $80 and $40. How can one come in so much lower then the others? Wonder if I could trust them.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
A lot of homes from that era had gypsum lath and plaster. Usually it is not asbestos containing but testing is the only way to know for sure. As stated, if it is hot you don’t have to think about it unless you disturb it. I was our county’s asbestos supervisor in a former life.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts