DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been planning the garage for and need some advice.

Below is a picture of my house and current detached garage. It's old and need a ton of work so I'm tearing it down. The plan is to add a 2 car garage attach with a man door that looks like it was built with the house and not an addition.

The entire thing will be brick to match the house. I was leaning towards a hip roof so there was no need for brick on the gable. Which way would you go - hip or gable?

While I'm building, I figured it wouldn't cost much more to add a small room above the garage as a "bump out" (see pic below to right). What I don't like about this is that it's an obvious addition. Is there another way to add a small room above that looks more natural? If I went this route I'd do it on the other side that faces the backyard so it wouldn't be visible to the street. It will probably be used as storage in the beginning and maybe later in life transition into a man cave when I need to get away.

Thanks for your help and sorry for the elementary mock up on the pictures!

·
Registered
10,976 Posts
Not sure where you are located, warm country or cold, but new energy codes (IMO) have gone overboard. To convert that space to living space means meeting the insulation requirements which in my zone 6 are R-49 in the ceiling. When you get to the attic the guidance changes but still may require rafter depth in excess of a foot which can jeopardize the required ceiling height.

Be sure to discuss code requirements for your area when you talk to the code office to get your permit.

Bud

·
Residential Designer
1,483 Posts
Been planning the garage for and need some advice.

Below is a picture of my house and current detached garage. It's old and need a ton of work so I'm tearing it down. The plan is to add a 2 car garage attach with a man door that looks like it was built with the house and not an addition.

The entire thing will be brick to match the house. I was leaning towards a hip roof so there was no need for brick on the gable. Which way would you go - hip or gable?

While I'm building, I figured it wouldn't cost much more to add a small room above the garage as a "bump out" (see pic below to right). What I don't like about this is that it's an obvious addition. Is there another way to add a small room above that looks more natural? If I went this route I'd do it on the other side that faces the backyard so it wouldn't be visible to the street. It will probably be used as storage in the beginning and maybe later in life transition into a man cave when I need to get away.

Thanks for your help and sorry for the elementary mock up on the pictures!

That picture on the right is actually of a large shed dormer or sometimes it may be referred to as a 1 1/2 story.
It may or may not work well with your house seeing as the existing roof pitch looks to be relatively low (4-6" per foot in pitch).

If it does work I would not think that it would look like an add-on or afterthought at all.

Andy.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts