DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Plank Floor Reinstallation Question

717 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  chandler48 
#1 ·
The original installer of my vinyl plank floor didn’t get up all the glue and the vinyl planks sometimes stick to the glue residue on the slab and make a pop. It was recommended to have installer pull up the vinyl planks and put down 6 mil poly film over the concrete slab, and then reinstall the planks over the polyfilm. The installer agreed to do this at no charge. My only concern is that some of the glue might have transferred to the bottom of some of the vinyl planks. I’m worried the planks that might have some glue might stick to the polyfilm and the polyfilm will stick to the slab and there still might be a pop. Has anyone maybe done this retrofit and can advise what to expect?

#2 ·
I have no experience on this, but I have a suggestion.

Examine each plank, for residue, and use a solvent rag to wipe any that have the residue, to remove it.

No more sticking to the poly.

May take a few extra minutes , but worth the time taken.

ED

#3 ·
Mineral spirit should take care of it. If glue is on the tile, it is installer's job since he created the problem. Plenty of paper towel, big garbage can and ventilation. I don't think glue must be removed for a pristine surface. If glue is flat enough, I would also accept masking tape over them.

Tiles should be numbered and located on a map so the cut pieces don't have to be all thrown out. Blue tape and a marker and also take a photo of the floor. Maybe this is something you can do before the job starts. Also get 2-3 boxes of the tiles in case some breaks or has to be removed in pieces because of the glue.
The way it was done, I don't know how much experience the installer has. If he's too hurried while removing the tiles, the joints may be damaged. This is a worry that you can talk to him about. These tiles have tiny t&g's that can be easily damaged and later show up as bumps.

Showing appreciation for him coming back and maybe promising couple hundred dollars could improve moods.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.