DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im having a problem with banging/vibrations in the hot water pipe to my hall bathroom.

If I turn the hot water to about half or above a loud knocking/banging noise comes from the wall. It will decrease in frequency/intensity if I turn down the water, or sometimes go away if I turn on the cold water all the way.

It doesnt happen with any other faucets/pipes/washing machine etc including the sink that is on the other side of the wall.

It goes away if the water isnt running.

Im not exactly sure what is going on. I dont think its water hammering as this occurs when the water is on instead of turned off quickly.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
expansion and contraction maybe. hot water will make the pipes expand and if they are tight against wood or other items, they will rub and sometimes "pop". Does it sound similar to a really noisy hot water heating system in winter? Those creaks, moans, and pops when the furnace turns on?

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Take a look to see where the hot water suppy is routed. if it's up against anything, slide some cardboard between. Also, in doing this have a friend turn the water on and try to find the exact source of the sound.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Something else to try:
Make sure valve supply lines to all sinks, toilets, shower etc are fully open. Sometimes a partially open valve will cause bangs.
Any plumbing repairs made lately?

·
Registered
577 Posts
normally, where the pipes run through joists in the walls/ceiling, wooden dowels are pushed between the pipe and edge of the hole to make a snug fit. otherwise, the pipe will move and bang against the edge of the hole in the joist. not that this is necessarily a problem but can by slightly annoying. in order to find out exactly where this problem is occurring is probably not an easy task.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ive been under the house and heard the knocking but didnt notice any vibrations from underneath. By valve washer do you mean the faucet itself?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts