DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Pipe size question- upsizing?

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  plumber666 
#1 ·
Is there any reason (beside cost) NOT to upsize a water supply pipe after it has a choke point?

I have 3/4" copper pipe from the service for a approx. 25' run to a 1-bed house (1bath,kitchen, washer). I need to run from there 60' to 2 more 1-bed houses and was going to upsize to 1" for that 60 feet. Is there any negative effect in doing this besides cost? I have figured the water supply fixture units and know it will be lacking, even at 1", but would like to be prepared for replacing the first 25 feet of 3/4" somewhere in the future.

Thanks!

#3 ·
That first 25-foot run is under concrete and I really don't have the time to repipe it.( And at the risk of confusing the issue further- right past the meter, in the box, they choked it down to 1/2" for 2 inches! Which I will fix. )

Any negatives with upsizing the run? I thought I had read something somewhere in the past that it's not good to do, but can't find it now.

Thanks,

David

#4 ·
How bout buying a hundred foot roll of 2" black municipal polyethylene? Compression tees for the runouts to the other houses. It's fairly inexpensive, It'd suck when buddy in the third house off that 1" main is having a shower and you flush the toilet in house #1. Running water from a single line to 3 homes isn't legit at all where I live, though I've lived in a few farm houses like that in the past.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.