DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Property Building Wood Fixture Window

Plant Building Property Leaf House

PIPE HOLE in first photo is dripping water. Then it stops and after some days or next day starts again. Sometimes it is dripping 2 gallons of wate in aggregate.
what is going on?
How can I fix this?

·
Super Moderator
7,915 Posts
What does it go to? Roof drainage? Overflow for something? What does 2 gallons of water aggregate mean?

If it's some kind of condensate line for HVAC, AC, etc.,, the dripping is normal.

You may need to reroute it if it's an issue for you.

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
Dripping is normal when the AC is running. Will drip a lot more on very humid days. And if you have a problem like the indoor evap coil icing up it can drip as it melts off with no equipment running.

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
Yes, cold AC. The indoor evap coil gets very cold and the water condenses out of the air as it blows over it. That's how an AC system lowers your indoor humidity as it cools you house. As I said above it will drip a lot more when it gets humid. That's just the way it is.... Where are you located?

It did not drip when cold ac was ON before. Why is it dripping now when cold ac is ON?

·
Registered
14,125 Posts
It did not drip when cold ac was ON before. Why is it dripping now when cold ac is ON?
As #8 reply states , it will drip or run a small stream if the cooling coil temperature and or drain pipe is below dew point temperature . In humid areas a 5 ton unit may produce as much a 10-15 gallons of water in 24 hours . That dew-point temperature is constantly changing as atmospheric conditions change . It's no different than the glass of iced tea causing a ugly stain on the fine wood furniture because of condensation . Some days maybe , some days maybe not , some days all day and all night or maybe not .

To better explain research - Dew point temperature .

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
Great analogy. This is probably the level of discussion surrounding dew points that the OP will understand.

It's no different than the glass of iced tea causing a ugly stain on the fine wood furniture because of condensation . Some days maybe , some days maybe not , some days all day and all night or maybe not .

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
Well, you probably just missed it or just didn't look on a more humid day. If it is the ac condensate drain it was dripping. Unless the line was broken or clogged and it was draining into your attic or a wall.

The question is why was it not dripping when cold ac was on during summers before?
something is not right here.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I did not miss it.
Well, you probably just missed it or just didn't look on a more humid day. If it is the ac condensate drain it was dripping. Unless the line was broken or clogged and it was draining into your attic or a wall.

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
It's your house, you have to tell us. Find the air handler unit with the evap coil and follow the drain line (s) from the coil. Should be 3/4" PVC or similar. I don't often see secondary lines connected, but maybe that's what you have there. Probably more important to have that setup with an attic install where a line clog could be a major problem. Imagine all that water you are seeing coming through your ceiling.

where is main drain line?

·
Registered
637 Posts
where is main drain line?
The main drain line might run down a side wall and terminate just above the ground or it could be directed into a rain gutter on the house which you might not be able to easily see from the ground. The secondary drain line which is what is probably in the picture is the emergency overflow and will have water coming from it if there is a problem with the system or the main drain line is clogged. The emergency drain line is generally placed like yours over a window where it will be easily seen. Sometimes (lousy installation) the emergency drain line will be tied into the main drain line. Find the main drain line and check for blockages. The system may possibly have a problem which has caused the emergency overflow.

·
Registered
14,125 Posts
Suggest to take the advice in reply #13 and have your unit checked by a professional . My hvac tech says service calls are an estimated 10-20 percent because of plugged drain lines . It can cause thousands in floor and or ceiling damage .

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
Thread reminds me that I probably should give my condensate drain line (I have only one, no secondary) its every few years cleaning. It is due.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts