DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was wondering what kind of cold is needed to freeze pipes with water in them. 32F or much lower for some temp retention reason inside pipes?

i don't have heat yet in my house and won't for a couple more weeks and the forecast looks like it'll get cold a few days.

thanks

·
Retired Moderator
25,769 Posts
32 will freeze pipes---the basement (if you have one ) will freeze last because the earth hold heat for weeks and weeks--usually keeping the temps above freezing.

I suggest you get some heat into the place to keep it from freezing----shut off the water if you must be away---the pipes can still freeze but you won't get flooded---

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
HVAC tech here.....there are 2 states for 32F water :eek:liquid and ice for that state to change into ice it takes more then 32F air.change of a liquid to a solid takes major heat loss.if the sun is swinging on your home just that thermal heat will safe out your pipes extreme winter say 20F blowing 30MPH sure the house will react in a temp drop and then you could bust a pipe.pipes along walls uninsulated go first but not to worry:wink: it could be 32F for months and your never going to bust a pipe s to simplify there is 32F water and 32F ice that state change has to be induced with much lower temps and wind chill.....if your still wondering leave a faucet cracked to even drip water on the hot and cold :whistling2:set the hot water heater to PILOT only or shut it to off....set the heat for 50F and your good to go and won't need flood insurance water can't freeze if it's moving even with a trickle...OK ...:censored:good test when you move in dead of winter wind blowing 20-30-MPH at 10F outside..invest in a laser thermometer and run the walls and window for some excitment....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Biggles is right. One more thing would be if you aren't living in the place it wouldn't be a bad idea to drain the water system. If you are running your lines in the place do it in. Pex is, from what I've heard, is 5 X less likely to split from freezing. A fitting will pop and it is a much easier fix.

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
if you have a slop sink in the basement or washing machine...shut the main cold water into the house open the slop sink on hot and cold then open all the upper floor faucets the entire water system will drain down into the sink. toilet bowls ... shut feed ...flush them little anti freeze poured into the bowl(not the tank) you good there....drain down the HWH if you want this is all extremes in extreme temps visit it during a sunny day you'll see and feel the heat..if you see your breath its 32 or getting there...and watch the weather channel reports for the week...:thumbsup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts