DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
chandler48 (Larry) helped me figure out which weather stripping to get. So I was doing one of my single hung windows when I ran into the problem. One of the channels for the base of the pile weather stripping is very difficult to insert because the end of the channel are blocked by the window sash at both ends. The attached picture is a kind-of-to-scale drawing of a cross section of the top of the window. The gray area is where the sash covers the ends of the channel. I got some pile with the zipper bottom and tried to stick in one side and the lever the other side in with a screw driver. The pile is .187 wide and .160 high if that makes any difference. Any suggestions?

Thank for helping!

Terre

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, dd57chevy. I tried to get some pictures. I'm maybe even a worse photographer than an artist! Plus it's hard to get perspective with black. I added a couple of questions with the last two pictures aw well. Let me know if I've only confused you more.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
Your first pic shows a screw head . Loosen that screw a few turns & the frame can be pried out to allow the weatherstrip to be inserted . Keep in mind that if you pry too hard the glass can break !

I can't really tell what the other seal is , it could be what is known as a chimney stop .

That wavy metal (while I can't tell what part of the window it is) definitely looks like IHCD (inept human caused damage) .:biggrin2:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts