DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a DIY aspiring electrician. I was thinking of pigtailing all of my receptacles so if one goes bad it doesnt knock all the other ones on the same circuit offline. Also, is this allowed in the kitchen with gfci circuits?

·
A "Handy Husband"
14,121 Posts
I'm a DIY aspiring electrician. I was thinking of pigtailing all of my receptacles so if one goes bad it doesnt knock all the other ones on the same circuit offline. Also, is this allowed in the kitchen with gfci circuits?
Waste of time, find something constructive to do.

·
Super Moderator
16,917 Posts
I think you meant daisy chaining and I wouldn't bother if you don't have a problem. Very rare for an outlet to go "bad" and "knock out" other outlets if properly wired etc...
If the receptacles are pigtailed the connection downstream is not interrupted if the device screw becomes loose. Only the affected receptacle is lost.

Reactions: mm11

·
Registered
118 Posts
As mentioned it is pretty rare for a receptacle to just "go bad". And on the offchance that one does go bad, I would rather it take out the rest of the circuit so I would have a better chance of noticing something is wrong.

Leave it be.

·
Registered
10,735 Posts
If you are looking for a reason to go thru all of the receptacles, have you eliminated all the back stabs ? Do you have some receptacles where the plug fit is loose ?

Elimination of backstabs and receptacles that are worn out will save you from more problems that pig tailing for the sake of it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.