DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to add another receptacle in the adjacent room, for a TV above the fireplace. (FYI: I can get behind the walls, the fireplace is hollow)
I have any outlet in my bedroom that has two wires coming in (one hot and one for the downstream receptacle (or it ties into a light switch) .
My question is should I pigtail the outlet (4 wires, too much? - pigtail, hot, current downstream receptacle, new receptacle) or make it a junction box?

·
Registered
132 Posts
I'm trying to add another receptacle in the adjacent room, for a TV above the fireplace. (FYI: I can get behind the walls, the fireplace is hollow)
I have any outlet in my bedroom that has two wires coming in (one hot and one for the downstream receptacle (or it ties into a light switch) .
My question is should I pigtail the outlet (4 wires, too much? - pigtail, hot, current downstream receptacle, new receptacle) or make it a junction box?
I would make it as a jbox. safety is the key.. then go from there. Is this room down stairs or a single house?

if single house with crawl space.. you can run drill a whole in the wall for the new line.

Go under the house with the new line bring it into the existing box that has power.. back to the new receptacle.

E
ven with a story house with appropriate attic space, I would run a wire from the attic into the wall tying into one receptacle with the power back to the new receptacle in the wall.

·
Super Moderator
21,326 Posts
Pigtail it. If you remove the receptacle it might make the room not code complaint. You need receptacles every 12 feet along a wall.

You have three cables not three wires.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts