DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have about an inch to make up between three newly adjusted brick piers and a 3-2x10 Beam. I know that the shim material is supposed to be non compressive and I am looking at a few metal options. It would be easier and cheaper to use wood and I have some scrap oak that would fit perfect. Are hardwoods considered non compressive if loaded along the grain? I need to make sure it's right before the building inspector stops by. Thanks for any advice .

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
I would use metal. Or possibly even plastic...such as a piece of trex decking to build most of the ace and then metal. Ron

·
Licensed P.E./Home Insp
757 Posts
You might get better results with a non-shrink grout. Just make sure you put some sort of moisture and insect barrier between the grout and the wood.

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
Thin trex material is friable. Don't use it to support a load. Metal shims are best. Box stores: plumbing, electrical, and lumber hangers have thin metal plates and infinitely adjustable.

·
11,730 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Plywood is compressible and will absorb water/moisture, as will Trex with 50% wood dough (also molds/rots). I second the grout/vb as you will then meet code minimums- BUT, always good to check with local AHJ; eg.-"
Shims for floor joist or girders shall be of hardwood or steel
plates. Shim width shall not be
less than girder width." from; http://www.rogerscounty.org/planning/zoning\AH.pdf

Gary

Reactions: Mingledtrash
1 - 7 of 7 Posts