DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello to all. I am planning to install a free standing high efficiency wood stove in the living room of my double wide. my question is would it be possible to route the stove pipe/chimney at the center ridge of my roof using a roof peak flashing in conjunction with the required ceiling support box. this location would be the best from several aspects- more central location in the room, also less obtrusive and more attractive.
I know that the two halves of the ceiling roof are attached at set-up and was curious if this was a practical way to proceed. any advice greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
going thru center of ceiling/roof ridge to run chimney in double wide

I asked this ? in the carpentry section and thought I would add it here as well. I have a double wide mobile home that I plan on adding a free standing wood stove to and was wondering if it would be possible to go up thru the center of the ceiling/roof ridge to route my stove pipe and chimney. I realize that a peak roof flashing would be necessary (not a problem) in conjunction with the required ceiling support box. this would be preferable to other locations as it would be more centrally located for better heat distribution, and less obtrusive/ more attractive in the room it's going into. I know that the two halves are connected but wondered if an opening could be framed in this location.
any information would be greatly appreciated.

·
Retired Moderator
25,769 Posts
That will not work---you have a vaulted ceiling that is supported by that beam--

the beam is supported by a column directly beneath it--so going out the back wall is not an option---

I could be mistaken, if you have a truss roof with a decorative beam you might be able to pull that off---More info needed.

·
Retired Moderator
25,769 Posts
Howdy, I found three threads on the same subject and merged them for you----

Our members usually use 'todays posts' to find threads--so multiple threads on the same subject lead to confusion.

·
Retired Moderator
25,769 Posts
Now that I know this is a double wide----I believe you can not cut that center coupling---but I will wait for advice from a member that has experience with that unique type of construction.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
what appears to be a beam is simply a stained 1X6 to cover the seam created by the two halves, so there is no load support at this area.

·
Super Moderator
14,210 Posts
Most of the vaults in a double wide usually are truss, I have never seen one that wasn't. My question would be how are you going to flash the roof, are there caps with that exact pitch? Are you having to cut any part of a truss, if you are I wouldn't advise it, if the trusses are on 24 inch centers and you hit dead center it might work. Check instructions with the triple wall pipe to see what you need to do.

One more thing, you best check with your insurance company, most won't allow wood heat in a mobile home.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I have located several companies that will produce a peak flashing to a 0/12-6/12 pitch with center "cone" with the 10" OD necessary for a triple wall chimney pipe. I have checked with my insurance company and it is allowed to install a wood stove provided that (a) the stove is certified for mfg home install, (b) the stove is physically attached to the floor, and (c) there is an outside fresh air intake to provide air for combustion.
the trusses are on 24" centers. the ceiling support box for the transition thru the roof is 18 1/4" square with a 24" total height. the sides on the support box can be cut down and folded out for attaching to the roof (distance from ceiling to top side of the shingles is just under 10") so would have upwards of 14" of material to cut/lay over.

·
Super Moderator
14,210 Posts
I have located several companies that will produce a peak flashing to a 0/12-6/12 pitch with center "cone" with the 10" OD necessary for a triple wall chimney pipe. I have checked with my insurance company and it is allowed to install a wood stove provided that (a) the stove is certified for mfg home install, (b) the stove is physically attached to the floor, and (c) there is an outside fresh air intake to provide air for combustion.
the trusses are on 24" centers. the ceiling support box for the transition thru the roof is 18 1/4" square with a 24" total height. the sides on the support box can be cut down and folded out for attaching to the roof (distance from ceiling to top side of the shingles is just under 10") so would have upwards of 14" of material to cut/lay over.
Good deal, looks like you have smooth sailing on your install. All you need to do now is make sure you don't hit a truss. :smile:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts