DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to replace a wall phone jack with a plate since we don't use it anymore. I watched DIY videos and thought I had it figured out. But once I removed the plate, there was a black box attached with several extra wires. I don't know if they're electrical or what they are. I think I should find out before I cut them. ;) Can anyone help me? Attached is a photo. Thanks so much!

Electrical wiring Gas Circuit component Cable Electronic engineering

·
Super Moderator
16,907 Posts
Can you show the face of the plate? It looks like there is line voltage also.

Reactions: ttrus1

·
Registered
976 Posts
For the phone wires, you can just abandon them.

If you no longer have any landline (and aren't using it for DSL based internet) you can just unscrew the wires from the terminals and stuff them back in the wall.

If you are using landline elsewhere, just wrap the ends in tape after you remove them from the jack.

For the bottom two, it looks like this integrates a little transformer. Make sure the power is off (may take some breaker flipping) and then take these off and cap each with a wirenut.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
I installed telephone cabling, and data cabling for 20 years, and I have never seen a jack like that, with those two low voltage wires, I thought I had seen it all, Lol

·
Registered
515 Posts
I have never seen it either but I bet it is some sort of spd- surge protection device device.

Cap off the black and white (larger wires) separately and disconnect the phone wires so they are not touching each other.

·
Registered
6 Posts
That looks like a discontinued levitron out of site plate. It would provide power for a cordless base unit, answering machine. If it would make sense I would remove it and the phone line and put in an outlet.

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
Yes, the black and white wires are #14 THHN and are used for AC power in homes with conduit wiring such as in certain cities. This is not to be messed with or treated lightly or stupidly. I know you weren't looking for an AC power adventure, but by golly, you got one!

I mean it's possible someone just happened to grab #14 THHN as cheap wires to hook up low voltage from a downstairs power supply, but being wrong about that could kill you or start a house fire.

If you're not up for the adventure, button it back up like you found it.

·
Registered
439 Posts
The phone jack you have is a power block to charge a cordless wall phone. Originally it came with several adapters to fit different phones. They would have gone on the white two wire lead hanging from the bottom of the jack.
The Black, White and Green in the box are 120 Volt. You can cap them off with wire nuts or install a receptacle.
The small red & green would be Phone Line/Number #1, Yellow and Black would be Phone Line/Number #2. Most likely Yellow & Black are not used unless you have two phone numbers.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Regardless, I see no indication of a barrier to separate the different classes of wiring (Class I from Class II or III), making it a violation. Finding 120 volts on telephone wiring is never fun!

Reactions: ttrus1 and seharper

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Abandoned phone wire in that box could make contact with the Class I wiring. For that reason, I would say yes, it makes a difference. I tend to be anal about such things.

Reactions: seharper

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Tape the phone conductors to their cable and use something non-conductive like a wooden dowel to push them back out of the electrical box.

Reactions: rogerwh

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
We have not been shown the connections of the Black and White "Power" (?) wires at the rear of the plate but they appear to go into a "black-box" which may contain a transformer/power supply.

There are two white wires (coming from this ?) connected to two screws on the front of the plate and there is a "slide switch" - rather confusingly labeled with what may be
7V 9.1V
TO TO
9V 12V

Is plate perhaps for a 'phone containing an illuminating device - such as the "Princess" phone, of which the originals used a much bulkier plug/socket combination than this 6P6C (RJ12)

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
I thought Princess just put the dial lamp power on the yellow and black wires. We had a Princess transformer in our old house, I believe the telco guys even changes us from a generic porcelain lamp holder to one with a socket.

Oh man, I owe AT&T a Princess transformer. All phones and gear were their property back then, and I plumb forgot to give it back when we sold. (walk into one of their cell phone stores, going "returning this equipment"...)

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I thought Princess just put the dial lamp power on the yellow and black wires. We had a Princess transformer in our old house, I believe the telco guys even changes us from a generic porcelain lamp holder to one with a socket.

Oh man, I owe AT&T a Princess transformer. All phones and gear were their property back then, and I plumb forgot to give it back when we sold. (walk into one of their cell phone stores, going "returning this equipment"...)
If the manufacturer is Ault, I wouldn't use it. They were removed in the 70s-80s(?) due to numerous fires. I suspect they spurred the change to powering dial illumination from the telco line. Including the early version that was polarity sensitive; if Tip and Ring were reversed, the phone wouldn’t light-up.
I remember them because of a battle years later getting the phone company to replace my inlaw's old Princess phone with the line powered version.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thank you for all of your feedback. I got nervous and decided to just put the wires back in the box and wait and have an electrician look at it sometime. I am thankful I didn't decide to clip the live wires!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts