DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided to go with PEX over copper to start repiping my house that is currently 80% galvanized, but I’m having trouble deciding which type, brand, and connection method to use.

I’d like to get a plumber to connect a tee for a second shutoff at the main, run 1” from that to a homemade cold manifold with ball valves. I’d also like a tee on the hot water out of the water heater, and run 3/4” from that to a hot manifold. I could then run 1/2” homeruns out to each of the fixtures and expand the manifolds as I connect more fixtures, eventually shutting off and cutting out the galvanized. Does that make sense?

Pex A or Pex B?
  • It seems like the pros use A
  • It looks like A is harder to find locally, with all the big box stores stocking B
  • A seems to be more pliable, allowing me to run it up the wall and softly bend it 90 degrees out the wall without kinking (maybe B would be fine for this?)
  • B is a little cheaper, not really a big deal
  • Warranty for A seems to only be valid with expansion connections, not crimp or cinch?
Which Connection Method / System?
  • If using A, it looks like I could crimp or cinch but that could void the warranty and it might be necessary to only use the expansion method
  • I would like to be able to work in tight spaces, so I was leaning toward cinch, also like that a single cinch tool can be used for 3/8” through 1” tubing
  • If I’m able to bend A a lot more easily than B, maybe getting fittings in tight spaces isn’t even a concern
Which brand?
  • The big box stores carry Apollo, Shark Bite (brand, not method), and Sioux Chief as far as locally available B
  • There’s an online supply house that carries Uponor and Bluefin (?) as far as A goes
  • Any other brands to look at for A or B?

Probably overthinking this a little bit, but want to make the best decision before I go running tubing and close the walls back up. Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
375 Posts
A requires a $400 tool to do the expansion, It is what I have and use. For a one time deal B is probably going to be your best deal. Like I said before A is true flow 1/2 or 3/4 being the size they are I.D. B the is either copper crimp ring or a crimp band , like CV joints use. both require a tool to do , but you can get those fairly cheap .

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Would you say B is flexible enough to route through joists and then up a narrow wall cavity and back into/under a vanity without fittings? I would rather not have any fittings inside walls, only at accessible shutoff connections, inside access panels, and in the basement at the manifolds.

Also, if using B, would I want to do 1” to the water heater and back and at the manifold, and then 3/4” to each fixture? That seems a little excessive unless the loss with those fittings is significant. I feel like going from extremely corroded 1/2” galvanized branches per room to 1/2” pex homeruns to each fixture will result in a night and day improvement even if the pex is reduced slightly at the two fittings across the whole run.

·
Registered
375 Posts
B would work just fine for you . It is still quite flexible. And just run 1/2 or 3/4 where you normally would. Also if are going through joist or plates you will want to use these.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you - I'll probably go with B and either Apollo or Sharkbite brand (leaning Sharkbite) and get the cinch/band tool. I appreciate your input.

·
A "Handy Husband"
12,505 Posts
I have both the copper crimp ring and the SS cinch ring tools. I find the SS cinch rings easier to use. I have and recommend the Apollo tool.

They make bend supports for 90 degree.

Reactions: MTN REMODEL LLC

·
Remodel and New Build GC
9,887 Posts
I have both the copper crimp ring and the SS cinch ring tools. I find the SS cinch rings easier to use. I have and recommend the Apollo tool.

They make bend supports for 90 degree.

View attachment 644285
I'm with RJ......my son has the crimper and I have the SS cinch.....you do have to keep the cinching tool calibrated, but that crinper gets difficult in often tight spaces,

I'd love that Wisbro set-up....but I don't do enough any longer to justify it...plus I don't think that the Wisbro pex is as easily available at the local BigBoxers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts