DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to replace my main service panel, not an upgrade just replace an old zinsco panel.

I've been adamant about doing it with a permit, but getting so much static I am starting to waver.

One electrician wants almost double to do it with a permit. Friends telling me I'm nuts to pull a permit.

What to do? JIm 0311

·
Super Moderator
14,323 Posts
Your options may be limited. Many power companies want to see an inspection sticker before they reconnect the power. I would get other estimates. I doubt that the permit fee would add that much cost to the job. The permit fee here for a panel change would be less than $100.

·
Sparkaholic
192 Posts
No professional is going to tell you NOT pull a permit! The reason why the electrician wants double if a permit is pulled is probably because he knows your service doesn't meet code and if he pulls a permit he will have to do much more than simply change your panel.

My suggestion is you get a couple estimates and get the feed back from more than just one electrician as to what needs to be done to change your panel and meet the requirements of the code.

·
Lic Electrical Inspector
1,843 Posts
I want to replace my main service panel, not an upgrade just replace an old zinsco panel.

I've been adamant about doing it with a permit, but getting so much static I am starting to waver.

One electrician wants almost double to do it with a permit. Friends telling me I'm nuts to pull a permit.

What to do? JIm 0311
The main reason for a permit is to have it inspected to make sure it complys with all local, state and national (NEC) codes in affect for your area. Avoid any contractor that wants to do it without a permit. Also make sure they are licensed, bonded and insured. The other reason for a permit is so they the town can raise your taxes for improvements to your property:(..

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
Find another electrician. If he wants double to do it with a permit, then what is he omitting to do it without? That's a red flag. Or perhaps he's made some enemies with the local building department.

·
" Euro " electrician
5,369 Posts
Have a electrician to get the permit and have it done properly and the last permit i buy in France for resdentail changeover no circuit add it was only 120 Euros so that is a drop in bucket.

And the other reason why with permit so you know you are up to the date with code in that part when you sell the house so they will look up the records to make sure they are legit.

Merci,
Marc

1 - 6 of 6 Posts