DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finishing my basement now, halfway my framing now and decided to apply for permits. Would i pay any penalties?

Thanks

·
Registered
66 Posts
Finishing my basement now, halfway my framing now and decided to apply for permits. Would i pay any penalties?

Thanks
It really is dependent on the local. In my area, I need to have a plan and documentation (design). I then go to the building office and request a permit. They then charge the permit fee, and provide me a permit...and then tell me to contact them and give them 2-3 days to inspect. If your local is the same as mine, they would never know you started framing prior to finishing framing. Once framing is done, they will most likely come then to inspect it. I have never had them come out and inspect the property prior to issuing a permit.

·
Super Moderator
20,904 Posts
If you have not gone past the point of any inspections I would apply for the permits as if nothing has been done. Then when the appropriate work is complete call for the first inspection.

·
retired painter
9,879 Posts
Locally the 'fine' for getting a permit after the fact is double the permit fee.
If possible, I agree with acting like you haven't started yet when you apply for the permit.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the replies.

I actually have all the complete plans. I just started framing early (feeling excited!) :) just to try out. Now that I'm halfway, Im planning to apply a permit to get 'legally' started.

·
Registered
41 Posts
One other reason not to start early is insurance. A work colleague told me a friend of his had a structure fire while working on the house without a permit and the insurer took issue with it. This was second hand so I don’t know the particulars.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One other reason not to start early is insurance. A work colleague told me a friend of his had a structure fire while working on the house without a permit and the insurer took issue with it. This was second hand so I don’t know the particulars.
Thanks noted. I'm pretty sure about that kinda issue and will get the permits the end of this month.

I just thought that the town will do inspections before issuing the permit :)

·
retired painter
9,879 Posts
I've never known of an inspector checking out a site prior to construction other than a site inspection which only applies to a new bldg or addition. It's main purpose is to verify the new construction will comply with set back restrictions. ..... and it isn't done until the permit is bought.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts