DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. We bought a very old house and later discovered that one of the original wooden framed windows on the second floor had been blocked up with sheet rock on the inside but is still intact on the outside. The house has wooden clapboard style boards. The house needs to be repainted so it will be a good opportunity to get rid of this "window" and replace it with wood clapboards to prevent possible future leak issues.

My questions are: 1. Can the window be removed from the outside and covered without having to break into the finished wall on the interior surface? 2. How do I accomplish this?

Thanks so much for any feedback you can share.

·
Registered
14,722 Posts
the drywall may be screwed to the window, in that case = drywall damage. disregarding that, i don't see why not. chances are that the old window has weights between the house framing and the window framing. in fact, the window "trim" could be almost the only thing holding the window in. that is how my house was.

lets see pics.

·
Naildriver
16,968 Posts
Without seeing what you see, it would be difficult to tell. Can you post pictures from a distance and an example window? Unless you plan on cutting back and "weaving" your siding, it won't look good. You will still see the imprints of the vacated windows.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.