DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Permanent Roof Safety Anchors

2K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  COLDIRON 
#1 ·
I am having my roof done this summer. I am looking for a permanent safety harness clips. Every roofer I have talked to, has never installed permanent mounts, but has temporary. Nine suggest doing it because its another possible point of penetration. I understand this, but I feel I have good reason to want it.

I annually have to go up on the roof to sweep the chimney flues. Unfortunately there is no direct ladder access to my chimney so I have stand on the edge of the roof and sweep the chimney. I would prefer to be harnessed in while doing this. I am also an avid holiday decorator, sorry for any of you that hate your neighbors obnoxious Christmas lights. I'm sort of like Tim Allen in Home Improvement's Bright Christmas, or Danny DeVito in Deck the Halls.

Please provide any feedback on permanent mounts and safety anchors.

See less See more
#2 ·
Reactions: jwith
#6 ·
"Nine suggest doing it because its another possible point of penetration."
Sure that was not suppost to be 9 roofers suggested not doing it?
If 9 roofers think it's a bad idea that should tell you something about that idea.
The picture did not work.
I use a pair of these on my ladder.
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q...45A89CD45216FD8837EF948FBB6CE&selectedIndex=0
Yes, I meant none. I understand the water penetration issue. I was just looking to see if anyone has done something similar.

depending on the construction of your chimney couldn't an anchoring device be installed in the chimney?
the more penetrations in the roof the greater your chances of water intrusion. I'm sure most roofers would be hesitant in installing any optional items that could create a call back issue for them.

hopefully some of our roofing pros will chime in
The chimney is sturdy 6'x3' brick. I am hesitant on attaching anything to the chimney because if in the case I did fall, which of course my safety is most critical, I would hate to damage the chimney. Most chimney repair would probably cost more than a new roof.

I think the OP ment None sugest doing it.

What kinda of roof do you have?

So many options, but some are better than others depending on the roof type.

http://www.google.com/search?q=perm...dAsTDqQHXqICwDQ&ved=0CFYQsAQ&biw=1920&bih=911

The ladder hooks Joe posted would be ideal, no roof penatrations going that route. All depends on your comfort lvl on ladders and the pitch & height of the roof. Got a pic of the house?
It is just a standard 7/12 asphalt roof on a 2 story colonial, w/ a walk out basement. So the backside of the roof is 3 stories at the eaves. The chimney is near the center of the roof line on the gable end sandwiched between an attached garage. Of course the power line also comes into the same corner of the house on the same gable end as the chimney.

What kind of chimney do you have, and why do you have to sweep it so often? Are you burning unseasoned wood, and not burning it hot enough?

I had a metal triple wall chimney attached to my wood stove that I actually swept from the bottom with screw together extensions. That worked really good, as I had my 3.5 HP shop vac attached to the bottom of a T.

The triple wall pipe sucked, but I moved after several years, and did not have to deal with it any more. Metalbestos is great, but expensive.

I really would find out why your chimneys need so much attention and correct that, and hire a professional chimney sweep now and again. They gotta eat something other than soot too.
I have three tiled flues. One for the furnace, which I never clean, one for a chimney which I rarely clean, and one for the wood stove. The wood stove builds up a creosote.

I would like to clean from the bottom up. I do have traps for each flue in the basement, but I can't get a full size brush in them. The tiles are sitting on rebar that doesn't allow full access to the entire flue.

#3 ·
depending on the construction of your chimney couldn't an anchoring device be installed in the chimney?
the more penetrations in the roof the greater your chances of water intrusion. I'm sure most roofers would be hesitant in installing any optional items that could create a call back issue for them.

hopefully some of our roofing pros will chime in

#4 · (Edited)
I think the OP ment None sugest doing it.

What kinda of roof do you have?

So many options, but some are better than others depending on the roof type.

http://www.google.com/search?q=perm...dAsTDqQHXqICwDQ&ved=0CFYQsAQ&biw=1920&bih=911

The ladder hooks Joe posted would be ideal, no roof penatrations going that route. All depends on your comfort lvl on ladders and the pitch & height of the roof. Got a pic of the house?

#5 · (Edited)
What kind of chimney do you have, and why do you have to sweep it so often? Are you burning unseasoned wood, and not burning it hot enough?

I had a metal triple wall chimney attached to my wood stove that I actually swept from the bottom with screw together extensions. That worked really good, as I had my 3.5 HP shop vac attached to the bottom of a T.

The triple wall pipe sucked, but I moved after several years, and did not have to deal with it any more. Metalbestos is great, but expensive.

I really would find out why your chimneys need so much attention and correct that, and hire a professional chimney sweep now and again. They gotta eat something other than soot too.

#8 ·
The flue tiles are sitting on Rebar??? Just at the bottom of the flue, or each tile. They are usually 2 feet long if memory serves. Frankly I would cut out the re bar if it can be done. What did the mason have against Santa Claus?

I remember seeing chains hung permanently in chimney flues that were jerked up and down to remove creosote.

Again, you must be burning wood that is not properly seasoned to get rid of moisture, or your chimney would not gum up so fast. Burn that sucker hot once in a while.

#10 ·
The rebar is only at the bottom. It is what holds the flue stack off the floor of the chimney. I wouldn't dare cut these because the hold about 30' of tile flue liners.

You are partially right about my wood burning technique. I believe the wood is mostly seasoned. I have had a catalytic wood stove (damn EPA), that doesn't seem to burn properly. Its about 25 years old and I have been using the last 3 years. I've inspected the flue a few times and its not horrible but it does build up a very fine line of creosote. I think I am just nervous about chimney fire, with only 5 years of wood burning experience all of the dealers, probably playing the scare tactics, suggest bi-annual cleanings.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.