DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone, I need help. I made a mistake of building a screened porch with permaboard and faux stone but I didn't weather proof my sides (knee walls). My studs are pressure treated; however, I'm now worried that water will seep through the stone and into the board, causing mold. I did go back and caulk the edges of the board, but not the middle of the joints (stone is in the way).

Is there a simple fix or do I need to remove the entire board with stone and redo? Like stone sealeant so it doesn't deep through.

Used construction Adhesvise to attach the stone.

Afraid of this because it does seem like a simple process to do.

Please help
Zoe

·
Registered
189 Posts
Well, pictures would help, and I would be more worried about the sill plates upon which the studs rest -- are those pressure treated as well? In my experience with porch enclosures, sill plates are a big target for water-driven rot over time.

But that is not what you are asking about.....regarding the stone veneer and your concern regarding water intrusion: I would do as follows: get a *pump-type* sprayer, and get some stone sealer. The good stuff (stone sealer) can be a bit pricey. You want the type that can be used on porous stone such as travertine. People use this sealer inside of showers, etc., to prevent water from getting deep into / through the stone. I would advise you to test it first upon a piece of extra stone veneer -- make sure that the effect is not one you don't like -- but assuming that no ugly dis-coloration or staining is produced, you can load your pump-sprayer and spray your entire exterior stone veneer with this stone sealer. Give it a couple of coats. That should prevent water from being able to penetrate the stone or grout if present. Probably should re-do this every few years. That is what I would try since the stone has already been installed.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts