DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Has anyone here ever built a Triangular Pergola ?:huh:
The standard Right-Triangle Compass design with runners out from the apex overlapping the hypotenuse with about a 18 to 24" spread.
If so, can it be done with 4 x 4' pressure treated posts if it is only going to be 9'10" x 14' (7'6" high) and cemented 18" into the ground. (NC has no frost line, sort of!)
I really don't want to pay for or work with 6 x 6's. I intend on using 2x10's for all the horizontal pieces (anyone have any thoughts here ?) The 45degree bracing will also be w/ 4x4's.
Last question: will there be any sag with a 2x10 spanning 14' while supporting 10 to 8 other 2x10's.

Request: If you post a reply and you don't know what you're talking about, please ensure that your incompetent advise results in my Death rather than Injury as I have no time, money, or patience for Injury and Death will only mean that I can finally stop fixing stuff around here and get some sleep...thank you for your concern.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
I think I can answer the last question with some degree of confidence. Yes, a 14 ft 2x8 will sag with that load. You would want to support it in the middle.

·
Super Moderator
12,638 Posts
Request: If you post a reply and you don't know what you're talking about, please ensure that your incompetent advise results in my Death rather than Injury as I have no time, money, or patience for Injury and Death will only mean that I can finally stop fixing stuff around here and get some sleep...thank you for your concern.

:laughing:Injuring you with a triangle pergola would be no problem, killing you with one will require a little more thought.

I’ll get back to you. :jester:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pergola advice reply

I think I can answer the last question with some degree of confidence. Yes, a 14 ft 2x8 will sag with that load. You would want to support it in the middle.

OK, However I am seeing several pictures of completed structures whose span exceeds my needs. How are these ppl overcoming physics and gravity ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
:laughing:Injuring you with a triangle pergola would be no problem, killing you with one will require a little more thought.

I’ll get back to you. :jester:

Thank you, please provide a demonstration video. Should you not succeed, I can provide you with alternate shapes. :thumbup:

·
Super Moderator
12,638 Posts
Has anyone here ever built a Triangular Pergola ?:huh:
The standard Right-Triangle Compass design with runners out from the apex overlapping the hypotenuse with about a 18 to 24" spread.
If so, can it be done with 4 x 4' pressure treated posts if it is only going to be 9'10" x 14' (7'6" high) and cemented 18" into the ground. (NC has no frost line, sort of!)
I really don't want to pay for or work with 6 x 6's. I intend on using 2x10's for all the horizontal pieces (anyone have any thoughts here ?) The 45degree bracing will also be w/ 4x4's.
Last question: will there be any sag with a 2x10 spanning 14' while supporting 10 to 8 other 2x10's.

You should check with your local building department to see what may be required.

In my area you could use 4x4.

If have to burry the post 18” is not sufficient, 1/3 of the post height should be in the ground.

I don’t think sagging will be a problem with the 2x10, there really isn’t much of a load.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts