DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like the simplicity of this design but wonder where the rigidity comes from with the lack of angle braces? Do you think the posts are poured in footing 4’?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you think metal 90’s could be used for lateral bracing instead of wooden angle braces.

1/4” thick, 16” long, structural screw fastened.

·
retired framer
45,362 Posts
Do you think metal 90’s could be used for lateral bracing instead of wooden angle braces.

1/4” thick, 16” long, structural screw fastened.
It does look like a rotting post.

·
In a little over my head
1,274 Posts
I agree that it looks nice. If you enlarge the picture, it doesn't look like the posts are imbedded at all. They are all the way to the edge of the slab, and split. No visible fasteners at the post/beam either. I'm thinking the rigidity comes from the beam mortised into the post. There must be a few screws that we can't see. I can imagine using 6" Timberloks from both sides to lock the post onto the beam. But it sure seems like it'd start to rack as the wood shrinks and changes.

·
Hammered Thumb
3,549 Posts
The rigidity is in the upper and lower connections to make a "box." If only upper, then much more massive than if combined with lower.

There are companies that make standard brackets to rid the braces. If you have to meet permit requirements though you may have to have an engineer spec the lateral and moment loads and that your DIY connections have met them.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Up here, those pergola brackets are a brand called Toja. They’re for basic structures.

I’m thinking 1/4” thick x 4” w x 16” l - weld two of those at 90 and use them in place of wooden angle braces on the structure. Two braces on each post for each lateral movement.

Posts are bolted through into saddles that are set in concrete footing.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is what I was talking about in terms of frame with angle braces or could steel angles replace them?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts