DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of designing a new deck for my back yard.

The deck will be 14' x 14' with a ledger board on the house. My intent was to use 2x10 joists 16" OC with a 12' span from the house and a 2' overhang. Then size the beam accordingly on either 2 or 3 piers. Still debating whether to use 3 2x12 with 2 piers or 3 piers and use 2 2x10s. I plan on overhanging the beam 2' on either side to match the joists. (I'll take suggestions there too)

Welp, now my wife wants a pergola. I can easily use the outside support posts and run them up through for the rear 2 posts on the pergola. But how should I frame in the other 2 support posts?

I'd like to keep the pergola approx 12x14. If I add another beam and run the posts all the way up, that would put the beam <5' away from the house and require me to dig footers to the house footer according to DCA6, which is approx 8' deep. (I'm digging these by hand)

I also thought about moving it out to 6', which removes the req to dig to the footer, but could still take me 6' to hit undisturbed soil. we just built 2 years ago, and there was lots of excavating, so I want to be sure to get down to a good footing.

If I go out 6' though that puts my pergola closer to 12x10, with 6' between one set of uprights and 10' between the other. Those proportions seem off to me.

Thoughts? Can I just frame in a cross support and set the post on it? It's not like the pergola will add that much weight. Or should I run the post to the ground? If I do run it to the ground, should I just frame in another beam, or just use a smaller pier for just the pergola post?

Sorry for all the questions. Just trying to make this thing sturdy and right from the get go.

·
retired framer
38,990 Posts
No I haven't. Any idea on approximate cost? If it's approximately the same as concrete I'd consider it.

Thanks
No have no experience with I myself. But that is an easy question for them.
Is your foundation concrete or block?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No have no experience with I myself. But that is an easy question for them.
Is your foundation concrete or block?
It's worth considering. I have a poured foundation.

Back to the original post, am I ok framing in a support and using the joist to hold the weight of the pergola, or should I extend the posts to the ground?

Thanks

·
retired framer
38,990 Posts
It's worth considering. I have a poured foundation.

Back to the original post, am I ok framing in a support and using the joist to hold the weight of the pergola, or should I extend the posts to the ground?

Thanks
When possible I would want the post to the ground so the deck helps hold the posts firm.
But what if you went the other way and hung the beam off the concrete foundation. With the joist going the other way or just using 3 beams
https://www.strongtie.com/facemount...angers/lgum-hgum_productgroup_wcc/p/lgum.hgum

With the joist going the other way the ledger can be moved out away from the wall and no need for a ledger with all it's problems.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts