DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am installing pendant lights and the box that's in the ceiling has 2 white wires and 2 black wires coming from it. The light fixture has 1 white and 1 black. Do I coonect both white from the box to the 1 white from the light fixture and the same for the black wires?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pendant Lights cont..

pipeguy said:
Whar was 'the box' previously used for? Is 'the box' controlled by a switch?
It's a brand new home so it wasn't used, it was just put up and is controlled by a light switch
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Borts said:
It's a brand new home so it wasn't used, it was just put up and is controlled by a light switch
The problem is if the wires are used for the switching or just tag off to another fixture. What we'll need to know is:
1. does the box have power to it all the time, or only when the switch is on. (you'll need a volt meter to test both sets of wires)
2. if not. where do the second set of wires go? I wouldn't heat them up if I didn't know where they went.
3. if there is power all the time, one set is the power and the other set is most likely the switch leg. You can verify this by checking for continuity between the black and the white and turning the switch on and off. (turn power off at breaker first)
4. If this is the case and you have power to the box and the other set goes to the switch, then tie the hot wire (black) to the white of the switch leg and then the remaining blk and white to those of the fixture.
5. if there is no power there unless the switch is on. test one set at a time and find out which set the switch feeds power to and only connect that set. unless you know where the other one goes to. (I'd cap them off with wire nuts.)
Good luck. It's hard to tell what the guy before you did or had in mind!
 

·
Contractor
Joined
·
835 Posts
New home.
Supply all colors and connections. Make sure to scrape off the paint, most new homes are sprayed with the boxes open and they all look white, if you have white ceilings.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pendandts cont

Yes, the black was connected to the black and the white to the white



pipeguy said:
When you opened the box, what, if any, wires were connected to each other.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pendandts

If #3 is the case, the white's will never show power correct? if so which black from the switch would I connect to which white?

ryaniniowa said:
The problem is if the wires are used for the switching or just tag off to another fixture. What we'll need to know is:
1. does the box have power to it all the time, or only when the switch is on. (you'll need a volt meter to test both sets of wires)
2. if not. where do the second set of wires go? I wouldn't heat them up if I didn't know where they went.
3. if there is power all the time, one set is the power and the other set is most likely the switch leg. You can verify this by checking for continuity between the black and the white and turning the switch on and off. (turn power off at breaker first)
4. If this is the case and you have power to the box and the other set goes to the switch, then tie the hot wire (black) to the white of the switch leg and then the remaining blk and white to those of the fixture.
5. if there is no power there unless the switch is on. test one set at a time and find out which set the switch feeds power to and only connect that set. unless you know where the other one goes to. (I'd cap them off with wire nuts.)
Good luck. It's hard to tell what the guy before you did or had in mind!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
160 Posts
Borts said:
Yes, the black was connected to the black and the white to the white
With the circuit entirley de-energized, connect the light fixture as you described in the first post, turn the power on and try the switch. It'll probably work fine. Keep in mind that the presence of two sets of wires (black/white/ground) probably means you have another light fixture or a convenience outlet also controlled by the switch.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top