DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My husband did a good job painting the interior of our new home. Unfortunately, when it came to our built-in bookshelves, I don't think he primed over the other semi-gloss when painting with the new semi-gloss white paint. When we put the books in, the paint is peeling off in sheets. How can we fix this? Do we have to strip? :p Any way to avoid sanding? Any and all advice would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Paint does need a month to fully cure, but shouldn't peel off that easy. Take off the peeling layer. Leave the paint underneath if it is in good shape. If it is latex nderneath, give it a good scuff sanding with some 80-100 grit sand paper, prime with some good quality latex primer like Zinsser 123 and top coat with a quality paint. If the paint underneath is oil, you really need to give it a coat of oil based primer like Zinsser Cover Stain to make the transition to latex or just top coat with oil.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you very much for the advice. I've managed to scrape the latex paint off (mostly) -still working on the detailed areas. What do you suggest for the areas where I scraped down to the wood (not many, just small). Will the primer be sufficient?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts