DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be start my patio overlay soon, concrete is in good shape..i have read and watched alot of video, but can't seem to find the answer..at this point i am planning on using mortar on the soldier course and I read to use like a cement sand for the field..question is so u still run the compactor for the field and if so how much higher should the field be from the soldier for matching height after compaction..thanks for your advice

·
4,080 Posts
I suppose you mean border brick laid flat, and not soldiered laid brick ? To me, soldiered brick are laid standing up vertically like over windows/doors or on edge vertically, as retaining wall caps. Laying "soldiered" brick on their edges as a border on a patio will make a 3 in. deep or so, field sand bed. Lot of sand, but may be what you are doing.

I have not seen the pro masons on the commercial properties I maintained, compact their field sand. They just lay down 3/4" or so "guide" strips, screed the sand down flat to the top of them and then lay the pavers. JMO

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess soldier was the not the right word, yes edge row, I was just unsure if I would expect settling of field stone..i think the stone I ordered is approx 6 x 9 ish..not that I believe it matters ..thanks for replying..i appreciate the input

·
Guapo
5,940 Posts
You can use a wet mix around the edge & fine sand mixed with Portland, in the middle. However, make sure that the pitch is correct. The rain has to flow away from the house & have somewhere to go.

·
Concrete & Masonry
3,794 Posts
Are you trying to correct an existing pitch problem with the sand? If not, I'd glue the edges down and dryer the field.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not trying to correct existing pitch problems, I had just seen on different videos that people use bedding sand in the field, and not that the sand can be compacted, which it can not be, but saw that if u run the compactor on the field after laying your pavers it beds them into the sand and helps with eliminating settling in the future, and since I have never done this kind of project, hoping to get the onsite on this, if it does need to be wasn't sure how much the pavers would press into the sand because at this point I was planning to mortar the edge course, and I wanted to match elevation..ive seen and heard at this point it was a 50/50 split on compacting or just laying on top and leave alone...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, was a pretty good read, since I will be mortaring the edges, do you think if the field is set at about 1/4 inch higher than the edge, the compactor would seat the pavers a 1/4 so I would have a even surface

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
About the only way to find the answer to your question would be to do a small mockup, make a box with some 2"x4" 's and mortar in one course, then do a course with sand, compact and see what you get.

·
Concrete & Masonry
3,794 Posts
Not trying to correct existing pitch problems, I had just seen on different videos that people use bedding sand in the field, and not that the sand can be compacted, which it can not be, but saw that if u run the compactor on the field after laying your pavers it beds them into the sand and helps with eliminating settling in the future, and since I have never done this kind of project, hoping to get the onsite on this, if it does need to be wasn't sure how much the pavers would press into the sand because at this point I was planning to mortar the edge course, and I wanted to match elevation..ive seen and heard at this point it was a 50/50 split on compacting or just laying on top and leave alone...
I see no reason for the thickened/sand/mortar bed than. I'd keep it simple and just lay the outer soldier border (it IS called a soldier when you're using the brick as pavers) in good adhesive or the correct thinset and dry set the rest of the field. My choice would be a fine polymeric sand when done.

I've done similar projects, some nearing 20 years old, with minimal to no issue.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts