DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a Patio Door Installed about 5 years ago.. Purchased from a local Home Hardware.. Past 3 yrs now Problems start once the Temps drop below (-10'C) Ice build up makes it almost impossible to open, things just jam up along the track and tough to close tight.. Any ideas what could be causing the problem.. The closes Heat Vent is to the left of the Patio Door..:glasses:

·
retired framer
44,484 Posts
Humidity in the house? Have you added a curtain to this door? Furniture moved around 3 years ago that might change air flow in the house?

Changes o the HVAC anywhere in the house?

·
Usually Confused
7,269 Posts
I've had sliding patio doors 'up here' and never had a problem, but they can be a bit of a weak point for air leakage. If it is ice build up, it is probably a combination of air leakage and humidity. You could try a small fan pointing at the door to see if it helps. Come warmer weather, you might try pulling the door off and check the condition of the seals, both along the bottom and where the two sections meet.

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
Our house shifts with the seasons due to ground freeze. We have to adjust all our doors so they still close. The slider gets pretty tight in the winter, though I've never had it freeze up...

Is it a low-e? Vinyl?

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
I put a heat register in front of the stationary panel so the heat sweeps over the door. I never had one freeze up. I only installed Andersen patio doors, some are almost 50 years old now, never had a problem.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I would use a silicon spray lubricant on the wheels at the bottom of the glider. Most likely they have grease that gets frozen in the cold temperatures in your area. If it was warmer weather you could pull the door and check the wheels at the bottom and see if they need to be replaced. There are many sources for replacement wheels which indicates these do wear out over time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts