DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About to have a patio poured (concrete) and want to build a "cover" over it. Basically a 20x20, 6 posts (3 down each side). I'm going to use 8x8's for the posts and go back and rock around the bottoms of the posts for decoration. I understand I'm not supposed to put the posts into the ground in concrete. I understand I need to pour "pillars" and use post anchors. My question is, and what I can't wrap my head around, if it's just a "pavilion" type structure meaning no walls, just posts, what keeps the thing from "racking" once it's built?

·
Registered
320 Posts
When you add rafters or beams horizontal at the top use metal ties Joints hangers or something similar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Fence, truck bumper, shed storage,
182 Posts
Dairy farms in Whatcom county put the posts directly into conc. in the ground......then pour a slab and conc. walls encasing the posts even more.
They get 40 - 60 years of life out of them.

Not sure what some people are looking for. Most everything decays over time.

I do like the vinyl sleeves for posts as it stops the conc from contacting and leaching the preservatives out of PT wood.

(my buddy just bought the place that has this pavillion......really nice place)

·
Registered
8,325 Posts
I would put them in the ground. Much stiffer.

I know, I know what somebody will say ------ Risk of rot. But if they are pressure treated and rated for ground contact, they will last a long, long time.

My old deck had posts in the ground. When we pulled down the deck after about 15 years, the above ground decking was shot and clearly needed replacement. The underground posts were still good.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the input. I'm going to put them in the ground as my original plan. One other question, where can I get those black connectors?

·
Registered
9,772 Posts
Everything I read says the posts will rot. "put them on anchors on top of the concrete" they say.
true, but 8x8 in the ground, depending on your ground/location, 40-100+ years.

saying that. if you want them on piers with brackets, you would use those 45deg boards like in the pics above.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts