DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all –

I just removed a shelf that was sitting above my mantel–which was essentially mounted like moulding with nails going pretty deep into the wall. The walls are also plaster. The shelf has been there for a long time, and when I removed it, I exposed some bare wall.

My question is what is the best way patch this? Basically where the new paint and the old bare wall meet, it has created a significant lip in some areas.

Would the best thing to do be to sand the edges edges first to get it as smooth as possible before spackling?

I have a few images but because I am new to the site it isn't allowing me to post the image links yet. I will try to follow up again with the images.

Thanks!

·
retired painter
9,860 Posts
Often scraping down the ridge works better than sanding.
look forward to seeing the pics when you post them

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
First, this is a job for joint compound, not spackle. Yes, if you have some kind of ridge from the installation of the shelf left over, it's best to try to knock that down.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
That looks like wood Lath if so you will need a gypsum base coat like USG Structo lite plaster than a finish coat of a veneer plaster.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Thanks, Clarence - somehow missed that this was plaster and not drywall the first time through. Still not the right place for spackling, though :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts