DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had an electrician doing some work at my house today and he drilled through the vent pipe from my gas furnace. The pipe was in the wall so it was a double walled pipe.

The question: can a double wall vent pipe be repaired/patched or does that section of pipe need to be replaced?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the confirmation of what I suspected. The company is an electric, plumbing, and hvac company and coming back tomorrow with the hvac team. Fully expect them to make it right and just wanted to confirm my expectations were correct.

Hope they have a drywall team too.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thought I would share what we found when we opened the ceiling. From the photo below it appears that the guys who installed my security system 5 years ago had the same issue. I would never have found this had the electrician not missed the mark and come through the ceiling.

Guess I should be glad teh guy was not as straight an aim as the security guy.

Attachments

·
Roofmaster
3,731 Posts
Holy Cow! I thought Moe, Larry, and Curly only did plumbing!

" Hey Dad, why do people only try to break in when when the furnace goes on. Think they are trying to get warm?"

·
Super Moderator
7,794 Posts
Wow, too bad you couldn't go after them as well with the evidence you have now and have them make that whole for you. Probably too late. You can try and call them, maybe in the interest of good customer service they will work something out with you to correct it.

·
Administrator
42,390 Posts
Thought I would share what we found when we opened the ceiling. From the photo below it appears that the guys who installed my security system 5 years ago had the same issue. I would never have found this had the electrician not missed the mark and come through the ceiling.

Guess I should be glad teh guy was not as straight an aim as the security guy.
Wow. The security guy knew he was drilling through something he shouldn't have been.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Since I have so many folks attention, believe I am now going to repair this myself. The wires are close enough to the edge that I should be able to ship the vent pipe to release them and then put in a new one.

What needs to be replaced is a 12 in straight pipe and elbow which I have pretty clear access too. But I have never worked with the double walled pipe before. Any tips on getting the connections to release so I can remove the straight pipe and elbow and then connecting the new pipes?

(PS - I'm doing this myself because I did not want the original company touching anything else. I had not paid them anything so I was not out anything and they were clearly wanting to put blame on the security company as well. So I just parted ways and will take care of it myself or hire someone I trust).

·
Administrator
42,390 Posts
The round ring is a locking collar. move it, you should see 4 tabs that you pry out, that will release the pipe that you can pull it apart. might take some effort and wiggling. You MUST get the same brand, it can not be mixed with any other brand.

·
HVAC Tech/Owner
640 Posts
Since I have so many folks attention, believe I am now going to repair this myself. The wires are close enough to the edge that I should be able to ship the vent pipe to release them and then put in a new one.

What needs to be replaced is a 12 in straight pipe and elbow which I have pretty clear access too. But I have never worked with the double walled pipe before. Any tips on getting the connections to release so I can remove the straight pipe and elbow and then connecting the new pipes?

(PS - I'm doing this myself because I did not want the original company touching anything else. I had not paid them anything so I was not out anything and they were clearly wanting to put blame on the security company as well. So I just parted ways and will take care of it myself or hire someone I trust).
Sounds like a good deal. You got free electrical work and the identification of an unsafe condition. Glad the electricians were honest, unlike your security company.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.