DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to patch this hole using one of those California patches. I realize those aluminum mesh patches are easy and effective, but I want to just try. So far the first problem I am having is on the drywall piece that I want to put into the hole, the paper will not peel off of the drywall without tearing. The next problem is tearing the drywall paper off around the damaged hole. Should I wet the drywall?

Attachments

·
Registered
37,178 Posts
How do you plan on finishing this with the wall paper in the way?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Hate to say it but I don't think there is no getting that wall paper off to reuse. Get some DAP and peal off a good 6-8" around your hole. Screw in some wood and patch with drywall. You will need the 6-8" to feather in the mud to completely fix the hole. Up to you how to fix cosmetic of the wall paper. If if was me I would take it all off and paint the wall.

·
Super Moderator
6,811 Posts
THis is actually doable IF you have some of the wallpaper left from the last time the wall was papered. Olcrazy is correct. You need another piece of wood to the left area of the hole to screw the drywall patch to. Or, you could buy a metal drywall patch and forgo adding the piece of wood. After patching and feathering out properly, you will likely ruin a whole strip of wallpaper, so, again, hopefully you have some left over to patch in and make it presentable.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts