DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Patching A Concrete Fountain

1K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Nealtw 
#1 ·
Well, I cracked it. It slipped out of my hands and hit the sidewalk. I would like to "paste" the three pieces back together. One problem is the mass of the thing. My weight lifter son says he is sure the largest piece weighs over 200 lbs. The whole thing is less then 25 inches in diameter.

My first thought was RTV it together but I am sure that when I put it back on the pedestal (which is less then 1/2 the diameter of the piece) the RTV won't have enough strength to hold it together.

I thought if I could get a 1/2" thick slab of aluminum, say 24"x24" I could cut off corners and use it as a base. But the big box stores don't have anything near 1/2" thick.

I don't think exterior plywood would be strong enough and could stand up to the weather "forever".

Maybe an 18"x18" ceramic tile floor piece?????

Any other advice?

What about an adhesive to use rather then RTV?

Thanks

Pete

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Carefully drill and pin the pieces together, with rebar, aluminum rod, all thread, etc.

Use PL construction adhesive, and stick it all back together, remove the squeeze-out immediately, or it will become permanent.

Go to a scrap yard, salvage outlet, etc, for your 1/2" aluminum sheet.

ED

#5 ·
bowl & base were designed to fit together - not on a supporting plate,,, we drill & pin but use epoxy rather'n pl,,, set pieces on vertical, drill holes for pins, blow out holes to be sure there's no residual dust & epoxy threaded pin into place

when those 3 pieces're ready, put it back together the same way starting w/2 larger pieces,,, its not difficult work

we prefer threaded alum or brass

#6 ·
To everyone. I know I just don't have the skills to align holes and pins so that the final seams line up.

Maybe there are methods I don't know about but these pieces are massive.

I assume the pins should go into the edges where the breaks are.

Even if I could drill them at the precise angle, I think they would have to go very deep spread the stress along the length.

If the pins are short I think they would just crack the concrete and pop up.

The bottom is flat, that is why I was hoping for some support across the whole bottom.

Any comments about my concerns?

Thanks,
Pete

#10 ·
You can build a jig, to hold the drill at the needed 90 degree angle, and drill at least three inched deep.

Casting a mold for it is another suggestion, But it will take it being temporarily assembled with an adhesive.

and some latex to make the mold, and separating the mold, and pouring new bowl, into mold through a planned hole.

Complicated, can you maybe just buy another .

ED

#12 ·
used to make those & can't remember using mortar of any kind,,, granite has such a tight grain that adhesion would be an issue in my thinking,,, monuments, by definition, have no time limit
that being said, try granquartz - they are major suppliers to the craft as are granite city tool (barre, vt) & john miles in elberton, ga

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.