DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

I'm hoping someone can help me out! I am creating a pass through in our wall (which is a load bearing wall) from the kitchen to the living room. However I"m at a standstill because there is a vent in the way where the jack studs need to go to hold the header up. I would greatly appreciate being pointed in the right direction on the best route to take.

Thank you!

Jason

Attachments

·
retired framer
49,122 Posts
Hey,

I'm hoping someone can help me out! I am creating a pass through in our wall (which is a load bearing wall) from the kitchen to the living room. However I"m at a standstill because there is a vent in the way where the jack studs need to go to hold the header up. I would greatly appreciate being pointed in the right direction on the best route to take.

Thank you!

Jason
How wide is the pass thru?

·
retired framer
49,122 Posts
Pass thru is 8' wide
You need 2 jack studs on each end. From the other side open the corner of the two walls. You have room in there to cut what you have to make two jacks out of what you have and fill in voids to get enough support.
When you add that much weight you also want to get below the subfloor and add solid blocking down to wall or what ever below so weight is transferred all the way to the foundation.:vs_cool:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is a register box where the 2 jack studs need to go...should we remove the register box?

Thank you for the help!

·
retired framer
49,122 Posts
There is a register box where the 2 jack studs need to go...should we remove the register box?

Thank you for the help!
No, go further to the right and work into the space where the two walls meet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts