DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm buying shelving for my garage. For example, Home Depot sells an Edsal 72" x 48" x 24" unit with steel frame and particle board shelves. This is for general household things, basically near-junk that I've accumulated over the years. Things like boxes of books (that I should probably toss in the recycle bin), my carpet steam cleaner (that I think I've used twice), etc. I'm not storing things like old transmissions, etc. Will the particle board be good enough for this?

I could also buy 2x4s and use, say, 1/2" plywood or OSB for the shelves, and build my own. But my take is that building it myself would cost essentially the same, and the steel unit would be easier to put together. My main concern here is the durability of the particle board for this application.

Another option is the heavier steel shelving with open wire shelves, but then I would have to put something solid over the open wire shelves for many of the things I would like to store there. I suspect this would be overkill for my application.

·
Usually Confused
6,537 Posts
In addition to the grade of steel being used, low density particle board that is often found in store-bought shelving does not have great strength and tends to bow under weight (boxes of books can be heavy) and absorb moisture. If you like the price, buy the shelves, ditch the board and buy some OSB. I've had good luck with OSB.

Depending on your location, you might want to consider temperature and humidity if the garage is unheated. Cardboard can become a petri for mould and ruin the books. If they're that surplus to you, toss, recycle or give them to a library.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Your description alone says you know this stuff should be tossed or donated instead of stored. That said, particle board is not the material to use - I've ripped a bunch of it out of the house and garage I bought a year and a half ago, the original owner must have had someone give it to him or something....

·
JUSTA MEMBER
15,252 Posts
There is a Computer repair store here that has Gorilla Rack shelving as their shelves for the items awaiting repair, or pick-up after repair.

The shelves are just 1/2" particle board laid on the steel frame.

The techs often store 150 pound printers on these , and they have held up well for decades with just a few scratches in the board.

Depending upon the strength of the supporting framework, the particleboard should be fine for your use.

ED

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
I would never use particle board myself. Too humid around here. It would sag under its own weight in a few years.

·
journeyman carpenter
3,480 Posts
im the same.. i refuse to use partical board on my own projects, its just too cheaply made and doesnt hold up long term.. ive torn out partical board cabinets bare handed where as plywood boxes are still just as strong as the day they were built.. ive had to beat them off the wall or cut them off the wall with a recip because the screws holding them to the wall were countersunk and plugged

i say no to particleboard

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
I have several of the Edsalls, they are well-made. The particle board sits in a cradle of four heavy sheet metal angle-irons, so it isn't likely to bow. The particle board is very absorbent though, so I always paint them before assembly, otherwise they will absorb every little drop of spilled water, oil, etc.

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
Particle board means cheap therefore thin and overtime it takes on a bowl shape. But if you like the price, steel shelving is always a better choice than building a bunker with 2x4 for general household stuff. I bought some really cheap sheetmetal shelf/frame shelving from amazon with majority bad reviews, but with some extra braces with scrap ply, it was good for my collection of nails. Some bolt holes had to be lined up with an awl.
Toss the books. Who are you keeping them for? I think it starts at the kids age when every possession is "important".:smile:

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
We have about a dozen of these for my wife's pottery business.
http://www.samsclub.com/sams/5-tier-chrome-shelf-60-x24-x72/prod8250050.ip?xid=plp1344-offi:product:1:2

If it doesn't come trough, it is Seville heavy duty chrome shelf, five shelves with wheels, $150 approx., holds 500 lbs per shelf, comes with plastic mats that Sid on the wire shelves allowing them to hold big stuff, tiny stuff, whatever. They are FANTASTIC. So also has 6-8 of them in his garage holding all of his tools, 50 lb boxes of nails,whatever,they just roll to wherever you want them. Ron

1 - 9 of 9 Posts