DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1900's home in Minnesota that has an attached enclosed porch. The porch area also includes an area that was designed to be a pantry on the one end of it.
Most of the area under the porch and the pantry have a dirt floor crawl space under them, however there is a 8' x 6' x 6' area in the middle but still part of the same crawl space (coal/cold room from the era it was built?)
There is an insulated door from the basement to the 8' x 6' x 6' and I use the area for storage.

My question is in the pantry area, the floor of the pantry is essentially the outside temperature plus a little during the winter months. I have a wife that loves to bake in the winter and either makes multiple trips opening the door to the pantry or sometimes just leaves the door open which cools down the kitchen in a hurry. I currently have access to the crawl space area under the pantry and I am wondering if there is any suggestions as to a way to limit the cold air that is currently in the pantry?
All of the walls (real 2x4) have had insulation blown in prior to me owning the property and there is no HVAC to the pantry at all.

I don't expect to have a pantry that is the same temp as the house, but something above zero would be nice:cool:
Thanks,

·
retired framer
63,658 Posts
Unless you put heat in the pantry all the insulation would not help.
Sealing the floor from below to stop drafts would help if there are holes

1 - 4 of 4 Posts