DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in Ontario and as part of a small kitchen renovation I'm thinking about doing a panel replacement, mainly because I have a discontinued 80s Sylvania panel and between the expense of new 20a breakers and the afci requirements it looks like just doing a panel replacement might end up being the cheapest option. There isn't really room for a sub panel plus it seems like these Sylvania panels might be questionable from a safety standpoint.

I am planning on doing the electrical work myself with an ESA inspection.

If I do a straight panel swap to a new 100a panel can I leave the existing meter base alone and reuse the existing service entrance cable from the meter base to the panel? I don't think my existing meter base meets current code as it's more than 185cm from grade to the middle of the meter.

I'm assuming if I wanted to do a 200a upgrade(the service feeder cables are apparently good for 200a from what I've been told) I would have to replace the base with one rated at 200a and also lower it?

Since it's an underground service and the cable and phone company demarcation points are attached to the conduit as well, lowering the meter base would mean shortening the conduit and the feeders from the underground service feed, the conduit into the house and moving the phone and cable demarc boxes and wire entrances as they would both be covered by the lowered meter base. So I'm trying to avoid touching anything outside if its possible.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think I worded that poorly: the phone and coax do come out of the ground in their own conduits which appear to be strapped to the feeder conduit but the actual demarcation boxes are attached to the conduit carrying the service feeders, then from those demarc boxes the "service entrance" coax and phone wires pass through the exterior wall in a spot that would be covered by the meter base if I had to lower it. So all of that would also have to be moved too if I'm required to lower the meter base.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
In the US, it's a code violation to attach one utility to another for support. Canada may be different, so check. If they're in violation, call them out and get it moved.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts