DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
This panel has 30 breaker spaces. That's the figure you should focus on. Don't count on running 60 circuits from this panel.

Many of the breakers you need to use today will be GFCI or AFCI. That makes it impossible to use double-stuff breakers, which cram 2 breakers in 1 space. But if by some insane miracle all your circuits were exempt from those requirements, then you could nominally fit 60 circuits in there by double-stuffing. These days, that "circuits" number is a blatant lie.

And always get a much bigger panel than you think you need right now. Extra spaces are dirt cheap (especially HOMeline lol) and regrets are expensive. I'm not saying that to spend your money, but I see so many questions that start with "I'm out of spaces..." and it really adds a lot of expense and trouble.

Why isn't "circuits" simply 2x "spaces"? From 1966-2014 it was thought that too many circuits in a panel was bad somehow. For that and other reasons, makers often limit where you can put double-stuffs to some or none. Thus the need for 2 numbers.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. So I have a 200A panel but only more 30 circuits....really need 42. Does it make more sense to buy new 42 circuit panel or install sub panel?

·
Remodel and New Build GC
9,461 Posts
No...You misunderstood SE.

Add up your afci/GFI and 240 circuits required...multiply them by two...and subtract that number from 60.

That will be your number of available breakers relative to circuits.....and yo say you need 42 circuits.

You would like some extra....but I doubt that requires going to a sub panel....but it might

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Your call. Based on the "get plenty of spaces" principle, if I really need 42 circuits, I would go for dual 30-spaces myself.*

And depending on the layout of your home, clever panel placement may save a whole lot of wire. It's best to put them in natural pathways so people keep the 30"x36" working space clear and aren't tempted to block them in or stack boxes there.

You can have one be your "main panel" and use "thru lugs" to carry 200A to the other one (requires buying a thru-lug panel).

Or carry 125A to the other one off a breaker.

Or use a "meter-main" that is 200A, and route to the two panels any way you please with 200A wire. Making the T connection with Polaris style connectors. NEC 2020 requires meter-mains anyway (or some kind of outside disconnect).

* Or dual 42s lol... can't say it enough, spaces are cheap.

I don't like using double-stuffs because that implies you're almost out of spaces, and I don't get near that. We're the smart humans, and electricity is supposed to serve us. If I want to buy a 240V lathe on Craigslist, boom I do it. If I have to balk because I worry about breaker spaces, that's not "electricity serving me", that's me serving electricity. Life is too short for that.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I already pulled many of my circuits so sub panel placement not really helpful. I think I'll just replace 30 circuit and install 200a 42 circuits panel.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts