DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I'm almost done building a modular wine cabinet -- three base units, 18" x 13" x 38", one similar sized hutch unit that will sit on top of one base. The cabinets are bare wood, basically birch plywood. Now I'm thinking about painting, not a task I've ever liked, and would like some specific recommendations. The color will be a satin or semi-gloss black ("IKEA black"). I intend to brush the paint on.

What primer would be best?

What paint would be best for a durable satin finish?

Any specific tips for a novice painter?

·
Premium Member
8,029 Posts
I would do a lot of reading on here. This type of question usually pops up once or twice a month and everyone has their method and favorite "go to" paint for jobs like this.

I would use a slow drying oil primer. It soaks into the wood nicely, is easy to sand when dry, and gives your topcoats something to really bite into. You can then top coat with your favorite paint. I would lean towards an oil just because it's a wine rack and you will be sliding bottles in and out. It will be less prone to scratching, wear, etc. I like Sherwin-Williams oil based paints. An All-Surface Enamel or ProClassic Oil are both good paints for what you are doing.

Attachments

·
Registered
160 Posts
Slow dry oil would be perfect. As was stated before it will penetrate the wood deeper. As far as a top coat i would not use Proclassic. Takes to long to dry and also i would not trust its durability in a deep base. (deep base is required to make it black in color) I would advise you buy Multi-Surface Acrylic. No matter the color it will have 100 percent durability. Over all even if you wanted a white color MSA is still harder than proclassic. MSA is cured in 7 days instead of Proclassic with 30. If use use the MSA the next day it will be hard and con touch it and not worry about any damage

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.