DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

How do people deal with this? Water has got into the windows and rotted out between the upright and horizontal board. The scraped out rot is probably 1/3 the total depth of the boards

I have treated this one with epoxy hardener/anti-fungal and was then going to fill with caulk in two stages.

Open to advice!

thx
t

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good elastomeric sealant at this point. You are probably still fighting a losing battle. Once the water gets in, it prone to keep doing it.
Thanks. I'm [hoping to] fix the water ingress problem too. I have a lot of windows like this. I'm pulling out putty, preparing/sanding/bogging if need be, epoxying, sealing, re-puttying, painting.

·
Registered
14 Posts
caulk gap, re-glaze window, oil primer, re-paint (x)2 coats 100% Acrylic Exterior Paint.

watch for weathering in future, and re-paint as needed. Otherwise forget and move on with life.

If there is punky wood you can use a wood hardener like Minwax wood hardener, and then follow steps as before.

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
When bad I just remove the mullions, fill the holes and glaze in a single pane of glass.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.