DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting ready to paint some bedrooms in my house soon and would like to use my Graco TC-Pro Cordless Sprayer to do all the baseboards, crown molding, trim and doors before rolling the walls. At the same time I'll be pulling out all the furniture in the rooms so that I can remove the old carpet for new flooring so not worried too much about overspray. What type of paint would you guys recommend to use through the sprayer to give the best possible finish and durability?

·
retired painter
13,138 Posts
Even though I have a good assortment of spray equipment I rarely ever spray in an occupied house. Too much work making sure the overspray doesn't travel where you don't want it. The overspray won't limit itself to that room unless the doors and HVAC vents are sealed off. It's quicker to brush the trim.

What type of paint is currently on the woodwork? Most enamels spray well. A waterborne enamel or quality latex enamel is my preferred choice.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Even though I have a good assortment of spray equipment I rarely ever spray in an occupied house. Too much work making sure the overspray doesn't travel where you don't want it. The overspray won't limit itself to that room unless the doors and HVAC vents are sealed off. It's quicker to brush the trim.

What type of paint is currently on the woodwork? Most enamels spray well. A waterborne enamel or quality latex enamel is my preferred choice.
My idea was to close off the ac vents or even turn off the ac for the time being and doors would be closed. However, I'm not opposed to brush the trim if that's the better route to take. Would brushing it leave brush marks? I honestly don't know the type of paint that is on there now, it's whatever they used when the house was built 11 years ago.

Co-worker of mine told me he used a water borne acrylic paint on his trim and doors when he painted them and has held up pretty good. Is that the same as a WB enamel like you mentioned?

·
retired painter
13,138 Posts
The waterborne enamels are similar to the old oil base enamels in durability but clean up with water and dry faster. Brush marks can be minimized by thinning the the paint slightly and no dry brushing. Sanding between coats of paint also helps to minimize the brush marks.

You can take denatured alcohol or products like 'goof off' or 'oops' and scrub a small portion of the paint. If it tries to dissolve the paint it's latex, if it only cleans the paint then it's oil base. Latex paint doesn't always adhere well to oil base enamel.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The waterborne enamels are similar to the old oil base enamels in durability but clean up with water and dry faster. Brush marks can be minimized by thinning the the paint slightly and no dry brushing. Sanding between coats of paint also helps to minimize the brush marks.

You can take denatured alcohol or products like 'goof off' or 'oops' and scrub a small portion of the paint. If it tries to dissolve the paint it's latex, if it only cleans the paint then it's oil base. Latex paint doesn't always adhere well to oil base enamel.
I'm pretty sure it's oil base but I'll check with the method you advised above. What's the difference between WB acrylic paint and WB enamel?

·
Banned
1,586 Posts
I'm pretty sure it's oil base but I'll check with the method you advised above. What's the difference between WB acrylic paint and WB enamel?

in general acrylic paints are meant to be wall paints, they are a bit more flexible and designed to be applied to vertical surfaces.

'enamel' is sort of a loose term in the industry, some manufacturers use the term to describe a 'washable' paint. What most painters refer to an enamel means it cures harder and has more desirable brushing characteristics than a wall paint.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Would something like SW ProClassic Waterborne Interior Acrylic Enamel be alright to spray from the graco cordless sprayer? I can pull the doors off and do them in the garage. Buddy of mine used the same sprayer to do all his doors and trim throughout his home but used a regular latex paint.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Would something like SW ProClassic Waterborne Interior Acrylic Enamel be alright to spray from the graco cordless sprayer? I can pull the doors off and do them in the garage. Buddy of mine used the same sprayer to do all his doors and trim throughout his home but used a regular latex paint.
That will work as long as there isnt oil based paint on the trim and doors now... I've done plenty of new homes using plain old latex enamel and they turned out great.

I will add, that if its the graco handheld that uses its own brand of plastic tips, it wont go well for you. I bought one of those once, and used it ONCE. It was terrible. The pricier ones that take regular reversable tips will do you better. I've never used one, and I dont know if I'd trust it though, but supposedly they are way better.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
That will work as long as there isnt oil based paint on the trim and doors now... I've done plenty of new homes using plain old latex enamel and they turned out great.

I will add, that if its the graco handheld that uses its own brand of plastic tips, it wont go well for you. I bought one of those once, and used it ONCE. It was terrible. The pricier ones that take regular reversable tips will do you better. I've never used one, and I dont know if I'd trust it though, but supposedly they are way better.

Also, spraying takes a lot of know how to do it properly. You may just want to bite the bullet and hire a pro to at least do the spray portion.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is the one I have.

https://www.graco.com/us/en/homeowner/product/17n166-tc-pro-cordless.html

If this sprayer is not recommended then I have no issue with going with a brush, just thought that the sprayer would give it a better finish. I have used the sprayer to paint some outdoor siding on a 6x8 hunting bling we built and it worked great.

This job will have to be a DIY, can't afford to hire someone due to all the other work we have going on in the house that I already hired someone for. So basically, I have to find the best and quickest way to do it myself.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
This is the one I have.

https://www.graco.com/us/en/homeowner/product/17n166-tc-pro-cordless.html

If this sprayer is not recommended then I have no issue with going with a brush, just thought that the sprayer would give it a better finish. I have used the sprayer to paint some outdoor siding on a 6x8 hunting bling we built and it worked great.

This job will have to be a DIY, can't afford to hire someone due to all the other work we have going on in the house that I already hired someone for. So basically, I have to find the best and quickest way to do it myself.
Thats definitely a step up for the cheapo I bought... Maybe it will work. Id get a finer tip though... I dont know what options you have but if you can run a 410 or 310 tip with it use that. Dont even try it with a 514.... YOu also wont need to thin it with a finer tip.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Plans are to brush all the trim and possibly spray the doors if not just brush/roll them. If I go this route which paint would you guys recommend to use? I'd like a good quality product that will last a long time and be as durable as possible that I can apply myself. If oil base is on there now what would be best to use and if it's not oil base then what is best? I'll check this weekend to see if it's oil base or not.

·
retired painter
13,138 Posts
If it's oil base it's best to stick with oil base or apply an oil base primer first. Besides the odor and longer drying time, white oil base enamels will yellow as they age. The cheaper oil enamels tend to yellow quicker than the top line ones. I'm partial to SWP's ProClassic waterborne enamel.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If it's oil base it's best to stick with oil base or apply an oil base primer first. Besides the odor and longer drying time, white oil base enamels will yellow as they age. The cheaper oil enamels tend to yellow quicker than the top line ones. I'm partial to SWP's ProClassic waterborne enamel.
I want to avoid having the finish yellowing down the road. If it's oil base now is there a way to use 100% latex paint and if so will it hold up over time?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Is it true that an oil base enamel will have a better looking finish than a latex paint? I watched a video showing the difference between the two and the oil base looked like it had a glass like finish. I did the wipe test with some goof off on my trim and it didn't appear to come off, cleaned it up some.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just confirmed that the current paint that is on the trim and doors is oil based. If I want to brush the trim and spray the doors can I use a de glosser and oil based primer then a quality latex or enamel paint?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.